AUSTRALIA risks slamming the door on billions of dollars worth of lucrative investments following the decision to block two Chinese companies investing in the NSW energy market, according to a leading expert in the field.
The 27th Honda Celebration of Light kicks off with a bang tonight in English Bay.
Up to 500,000 people are expected to watch each night of the three-day firework competition, which takes place from July 23 to 30.
It’s a spectacle of lights and music – but requires some preparation if you want to make the most of attending.
Here’s what you need to know.Who’s performing?
Netherlands (represented by Royal Fireworks) is performing on July 23, Australia (represented by Howard and Sons Pyrotechnics) is performing on July 27, and the United States (represented by the Walt Disney Company) is performing on July 30.
Each performance will begin at 10 p.m., lasting 25 minutes.What roads are closed?
Most people congregate at either Kits Beach, Vanier Park, Stanley Park and Sunset Beach – and there are major road restrictions in each area. The area around Kits Point is restricted to local traffic from 6 to 11:30 p.m. each night of the fireworks, while access to the West End is restricted from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m.Is transit impacted?
The Expo, Millennium and Canada Lines will run additional trains before, during and after the fireworks, running “at near-peak service levels”, says TransLink. SeaBus will also provide extended 15-minute service until midnight.
As for buses, the 250, 250A and 257 buses will have additional service before and after the events, and the C21, C23, 5, 6, and 22 buses will be among those detoured.
(For a full list of changes, click here)What else should I know when I get there?
The City of Vancouver is reminding people that there open alcohol is prohibited on beaches, streets and parks, and failing to comply could result in a $230 fine. There is also a no smoking ban in Vancouver parks – and breaking that comes with a $250 fine.
Vancouver Police say they will be out in full force to enforce bylaws and ensure security.
“We’ll make sure everybody’s safe. I’m very confident we have enough resources to make sure it’s a safe and fun night for everyone,” said Vancouver Police Department Deputy Chief Warren Lemcke.What if I can’t get downtown?
If you can view the fireworks, but are too far away to directly hear the music, the Celebration of Light has created an app that will stream the soundtrack, which you can download here for iPhone and here for Android.
BC1 will also be streaming each night of the fireworks.
Behind the scenes at the Celebration of Light fireworks barge
02:24 Behind the scenes at the Celebration of Light fireworks barge
03:13 Behind the scenes of the Celebration of Light barge: part 2
02:58 Behind the scenes of the Celebration of Light barge: part 3
HOW do you deal with an overpopulated city and growing strain on transport, water and traffic systems.
KIM BRENNAN may loathe the spotlight but that is where she belongs.
KIM Brennan has delivered the gold medal a nation have been waiting for.
ADD a new challenge to the list that begins with finding the cure to the common cold: Solving Port Adelaide’s kicking yips.
RUTHLESS to a fault, Sydney snuffed out St Kilda’s 2016 finals’ dream with a paralysing second-half display — but the flag contender’s victory might come at a cost.
THE Matildas have suffered a heartbreaking exit from the Rio 2016 Olympic football tournament, beaten 7-6 on penalties by the host nation after a dramatic shootout.
AS Bronte Campbell so graciously and perceptively noted after her 100m swim on Friday, the Olympic Motto is “Faster, Higher, Stronger,” not fastest, highest, strongest.
WALLABIES coach Michael Cheika has slammed Australian agents who sign players to overseas deals while still under contract with the ARU, after releasing Liam Gill and Greg Holmes from their deals.
NBA clubs are circling veteran Boomer David Anderson as his brilliant cameos for Australia jeopardise his imminent move to NBL club Melbourne United.
- J.D. Power & Associates 8 most dependable cars, minivan
- Wake up to this crazy good Goo Goo barbecue biscuit from Holler & Dash
- Muscle Shoals Swampers, Jimmy Hall appear in Bayside Academy music showcase
- New York City Ballet dancer returns to Alabama for "The Sleeping Beauty"
- Who should replace Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump on 'SNL'?
- Jimmy Buffett to return to The Wharf in Orange Beach
- Beer garden in the works for downtown Montgomery
- Weekend box office: 'Logan' tears up opening weekend with $85.3M debut
- Resumes are more art than science
- How to open a resume: Objective statement vs. qualifications summary
- Don't confuse a resume with an autobiography
- Do I really need a cover letter? Plus more common resume questions
- Tim Tebow stalked by Colorado woman at Mets spring camp: cops
- KING: The Democratic Party doesn't get why it's so unpopular
- Paul Ryan, Kevin McCarthy Obamacare replacement should be called ‘Abominable Care’
- Fisher’s finish leads to Match Play and a shot at Masters
- Robinson, Lind ready for a spring training job fight
- World Baseball Classic failing to draw interest of American fans
- Ben Carson confirmed by Senate as HUD secretary
- Proposed $54B jump in defense budget won’t help economy much
- Why the world is raving about this underrated Aussie spot
- A superfecta of Superliners cruises into Melbourne Cup
- World’s second-best hotel is right on your doorstep
- This picture shows the secret to striking it rich.
- The Great Ocean Road isn’t Australia’s best road trip drive — this road is
- A pirate ship battle in the desert is just the beginning
- Hajj, the Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca, explained for non-Muslims
- First-ever drone footage reveals never-before-seen view of Uluru
- North Carolina's anti-LGBTQ law just suffered a big setback in court
- Democrats have a secret plan to win red states without moving to the center
- The best island Australians don’t visit
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand cuts rates, blames global easing for strong $NZ
- The Gold Coast is over — this placer is much better
- Hillary Clinton is now the only candidate not pandering to the anti-vaccine movement
- Top pope aide investigated for Australia child sex abuse
- Forget Byron Bay, these towns are way better
- These whale-watchers could be Australia’s most unlucky tourists
- The Purge movie franchise, explained
- Enjoy truffles? An affordable farm is up for grabs in the South West
- Michael Brothers pressing ahead with WA cold juice pressing company