CBC is marking this feast day in honour of the patron saint of Wales with three special recipes.
To mark St. David's Day, the feast day in honour of the patron saint of Wales, CBC has three Welsh recipes to whet any appetite.
Alison Lawson with the Ottawa Welsh Society is today's guest on CBC Radio's All In A Day where she shared some of her favourite Welsh recipes.
Susan Jenkins's Cawl Cennin (leek and lamb stew)
MethodUsing a large stockpot or saucepan, sear the lamb in 1 tbsp of oil until brown. Cover meat with water and simmer for 1 hour. Drain the liquid from the pan into a bowl. Allow to cool and then skim off the fat at the surface. Add to the lamb. While the lamb mixture is cooling, prepare the leeks and onion and sauté in the remaining oil in a separate pan until soft and golden brown. Make sure to clean the leeks thoroughly. Add all the ingredients except the potatoes and parsley to the lamb mixture and add the stock. Put a lid on the pot and simmer for 1 hour on low. Add potatoes, add more stock as necessary and continue simmering until potatoes are cooked. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
Susan Jenkins's Bara Brith
Method.Preheat oven to 325 F. Soak the fruit in the tea overnight. Mix flour with sugar. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a tsp of warm/hot water. Mix all ingredients together. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
Myfanwy Davies's Welsh Cake Recipe
Method:Stir self-raising flour & baking powder together in a large bowl. Add ½ pound butter to flour mixture. Using a knife, or pastry blender, cut butter into flour until you have small lumps. Then rub fat into flour using your hands until no lumps remain. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice to taste. Mix well. Add currants and stir well. Heat an electric griddle to 350 F. Break two eggs into a see-through measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 4 oz. of wet mixture. Beat well with a fork and then add to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. On a floured surface, and using a floured rolling pin, roll out a portion (a third to a half) of the mixture to the thickness of a currant. Cut out cakes with a cookie cutter. Add scraps to remaining mix in bowl and repeat. Grease the griddle with lard, and place Welsh cakes on griddle. They don't expand much so they can be fairly close together. Cook until golden brown on bottom, then turn and cook other side. They only take a couple of minutes per side! Remove cooked cakes to a cooling rack and sprinkle with sugar. Continue until all the batter is gone.
- Armchair travel: P.E.I.'s Nicole MacKay and her dad do South America
- Naked cakes: Sweet dreams are made of this hot trend
- Why women in tech aren't surprised by the viral blog post about sexism at Uber
- Sask. Hockeyville arenas more than a place to shoot the puck, say communities
- Olympic rower Silken Laumann shares painful memories to fight mental health stigma
- Stomach issues biggest hazard in McIlroy's return
- 'I'm legal as far as I'm concerned': northern Ontario pot users in limbo waiting for legalization
- Retired health care aide pens novel on long term care hoping for change
- 'Super-high' levels of mercury still leaking near Grassy Narrows, report suggests
- Halton woman alleging sexual assault on flight says Air Canada failed to call police
- What would happen to health care coverage under emerging GOP plan?
- 'They may nibble your mat': Kelowna embraces 'goga' goat yoga
You might also like
- What has Trump done so far since being elected president?
- Trump's new travel ban executive order is unveiled
- Trump's new travel ban executive order removes Iraq from list of banned countries
- Key lawmakers say they'll investigate Trump's wiretapping claim
- New cooperation with Russia in anti-ISIS fight looks unlikely
- Will Trump try to undo Obama's national monument designations?
- AP review: High court nominee Gorsuch inclined to limit environmental groups
- Lawmakers decry "degrading" Marine Corps nude photo scandal
- Former Team USA gymnasts describe doctor’s alleged sexual abuse
- On 60 Minutes, former gymnasts allege sexual abuse
- Wiretapping firestorm, renewed White House rift
- Afghan family with special visas detained after arriving at LAX
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Malala Yousafzai becomes honorary Canadian
- Text of Malala Yousafzai's speech Wednesday to a joint session of Parliament
- Controversy over video comparing abortion to Holocaust shown in Catholic high school
- Foul play not suspected in deaths of four people found in burning N.B. house
- Plans to bring high-speed internet to remote First Nations with 3,600 km cable
- Deadly wrong-way collision kills four in Quebec
- Gov. Gen. David Johnston reflects on Vimy and horrors of war
- Canadian accused in Yahoo hack denied bail, judge criticizes parents
- Attention, Gardiner commuters: You've got one more week to use the York-Bay-Yonge off-ramp
- Alleged hitman in brazen Toronto shooting sent message about 'contract killing,' Crown says
- After 6 suspected overdoses, Toronto councillors want amnesty for users who test drugs
- How do you fix child care in Toronto? Get all 3 governments to spend billions on it, report says
- Review of York Region District School Board finds 'culture of fear,' 'systemic discrimination'
- Peel school board steps up meeting security 'to ensure people are safe'
- 'The feather and the Bible were together': A tragedy is helping to mend a city's racial divide
- 5 things we learned about the changing nature of news from The National in Conversation
- 'We hear you': Sudbury city official says cyclists, pedestrians will have a voice at city hall
- Any cuts made to Saskatoon's budget may be permanent, city manager warns
- Council approves demolition of low-rental housing for college residence
- 'It's just not a strong signal': Residents in rural P.E.I. asked to test their internet speed