This family is crazy.
Warning: Spoilers coming at you fast and furious below.
The “Fast and the Furious” franchise lives its life one impossible moment at a time.
“Fate of the Furious,” the eighth and newest installment, is no different. The first one without Paul Walker seems like it might strike a somber note in the series, but thanks to The Rock’s one-liners, a rogue Vin Diesel and a submarine, “Fate” fits right in with this family of movies.
“Fate of the Furious” doesn’t outshine “Furious 7.” In fact, it seemingly ignores major plot points from the previous film. But it makes for an enjoyable ride if you don’t think about it. So don’t think about it!
Since the franchise is known for being over-the-top, here are five of the most unnecessary or ridiculous moments from “Fate of the Furious” that are also just so necessary.
1. The moment everyone forgets Jason Statham’s character is a mass murderer.
Does anyone remember “Furious 7”? Jason Statham’s character, Shaw, starts the movie by murdering a bunch of people at a hospital. He’s also the person who killed Han (Sung Kang) in the series.
Don’t worry, though. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson remembers ... for a while.
The two actors are pit against each other for a good part of the movie until Johnson’s character, Hobbs, tells Shaw he’s gonna punch his teeth so far down his throat he’ll need to put a toothbrush up his butt to clean them. Or something to that effect.
Shaw laughs. Hobbs laughs. All murders are forgiven.
OK, maybe not “all” murders are forgiven ― Shaw committed a lot of murders ― but Hobbs shows concern for him later, indicating his change of heart.
Yes, it’s a bit baffling. Yes, it needs to happen.
2. When The Rock redirects a torpedo with his hand.
A talked-about moment from the “Fate” trailers, and a standout one from the film, comes when The Rock redirects a torpedo with nothing but his hand.
If you consider things like, you know, the laws of physics, this seems unbelievable.
Well, believe it. In fact, we even asked The Royal Navy over Twitter if this would be plausible, and Hobbs himself chimed in:
Never question The Rock.
The Royal Navy was so impressed that it reached out and requested The Rock’s services. So it must be true.
3. When Scott Eastwood smashes a car key case with a crowbar.
This seems minor, but it’s perhaps the most unnecessary moment from the entire movie.
Scott Eastwood’s character, called “Little Nobody,” is the new kid on the block ― the verbal and literal punching bag for the main crew at the beginning of the film. Inevitably, there is a turning point, which comes when he smashes a glass case holding a bunch of car keys.
This doesn’t need to happen. If you want some car keys, you can probably just open the case and take them out nicely.
Little Nobody, though, doesn’t do that. With a one-liner he could’ve stolen from any kindergartener, he proclaims there to be no rules and smashes the case with a crowbar.
It seems uncalled for, but everyone’s into it, so we’ll allow it.
4. Every other Vin Diesel moment.
Writing this story went something like: “Oh, and then Vin Diesel does that! Oh, wait, remember, then he does that, too!”
Rather than list out every overblown (but amazing) thing done by Vin Diesel’s character, Dom, we’re grouping them all into one.
For instance, take the moment when Dom and Cipher (Charlize Theron) kiss in front of Letty (Michelle Rodriguez). Like Eastwood smashing the glass case, this absolutely doesn’t need to happen. Cipher and Dom can just leave, given his romantic past with Letty. It also doesn’t really have any implications later. But it is so necessary.
Also, at one point during a street race, Dom’s car catches fire. As if that wasn’t enough, he has to drive it backwards ― and still wins.
If you’re losing to someone driving in those conditions, you should really think about your life choices.
5. The “Lion King” scene.
We were actually going to leave this one out ― if it weren’t for an incredibly spoiler-y clip released this week:
It’s a good thing we all forgot about Shaw’s murders, or else we couldn’t enjoy the best scene of the whole movie: Jason Statham fighting an airplane full of people while taking care of a baby.
Later, the baby is involved in a very “Lion King” moment that had us just waiting for the classic line: “Everything the light touches is our kingdom.”
But, hey, hakuna matata. It just makes “F8” even more “Gr8.”
“Fate of the Furious” speeds into theaters April 14.
- 'Power Rangers' won't topple 'Beauty and the Beast' at the box office
- 'Boss Baby' Author Says Comparing Trump To Infant Makes Total Sense
- The Dark, Twisted Fairy Tales 'Beauty And The Beast' Is Based On
- Robert Osborne, Turner Classic Movies host and film historian, dies at 84
- Paris gets Hadid-mania, as Saab and Mugler channel dark, 80s
- Christopher Wallace Jr., Biggie Smalls’ Son: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- A documentary filmmaker explains how infamous actress Paz de la Huerta hijacked his Scientology movie
- 'I couldn't be prouder of Canada:' Michael J. Fox on Canuck pride and why he speaks out
- 'This is wild': Baroness von Sketch Show takes top honour at Screen Awards
- King Kong Is The Ultimate Symbol Of Our Collective Pop-Culture Nostalgia
- The surprising success of 'xXx' sequel in China offers marketing lessons for Hollywood
- Zaki's Review: xXx: Return of Xander Cage
You might also like
- Jeff Sessions Prepares DOJ For Crackdown On Unauthorized Border-Crossers
- Family Immigrant Detention Centers Struggle To Get Child Care Licenses
- Trump Administration Won't Routinely Separate Families At The Border After All
- New Sheriff Closes Joe Arpaio’s Infamous ‘Tent City’ Jail
- Hispanic Caucus Fears DHS Head Will Turn A Blind Eye To Agents' Bad Conduct
- Immigration Agents Won't Stop Making Arrests In Courts, Trump Officials Tell Judge
- Texas Republicans Hope To Give Child Care Licenses To Family Detention Centers
- Trump Team Still Hasn't Defined Those 'Sanctuary Cities' That It Plans To Quash
- What We Get Wrong When We Talk About Food Stamps And Immigrants
- How A Teen Girl's School Rape Case Became A Racist Witch Hunt
- New York Defiant As Trump Threatens Funds Over 'Sanctuary' Immigration Policies
- Ana's Fate Rested With An Asylum Officer Who Had Just Been Told To Doubt Her Word
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia rethinks the use of his closer in tight games
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour
- I’m Taking A Break From Social Activism And OMG I Need Like Everyone I Know To Read About This
- Noah Cyrus Reveals Her Next Tattoo & Dishes On Her Famous Family
- The Lonely Island Tell The Story Of How 'Dear Sister' Came To 'SNL'
- 'Marketplace' is America's most popular business show. Now it has ambitious plans to expand
- United fiasco shows airlines' power over passengers — and how it might change
- 'I really did it for my daughters': L.A. radio host Wendy Walsh on why she spoke out against Bill O'Reilly
- Trump backs Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but advertisers keep fleeing
- IFC swings for the comedy fences with Funny or Die's 'Brockmire'
- MGM to spend $1 billion for full control of the Epix movie service
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'Boss Baby' to sack 'Smurfs,' and other box office predictions
- Meet the new faces aboard 'Mystery Science Theater 3000's' Satellite of Love
- Werner Herzog wouldn't live anyplace other than Los Angeles, 'the city with the most substance'
- 'A blemish on America': The arts world reacts to proposed cuts in Trump's budget
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment is getting into the booming, competitive animation business
- Fox News faces another sexual harassment claim as Mercedes and Hyundai pull ads from 'O'Reilly Factor'
- Roman Polanski is denied latest bid to resolve 40-year-old statutory rape case
- Settlements of more sexual harassment claims against Bill O'Reilly are reported