Chris Farley would be 53 years old Wednesday. What's his best movie?
Legendary comedian Chris Farley would only be 53-years-old if he was still alive today. To commemorate Farley's birthday, we're debating the two best films of his short-lived career. "Tommy Boy" kickstarted the movie careers of Farley and sidekick David Spade, and quickly became a cable television staple. "Black Sheep" was the spiritual successor to "Tommy Boy," but with its own subversive take on '90s politics that's oddly relevant today. But which movie is the best?
For Chris Farley and David Spade, "Tommy Boy" was a breakout hit. The 1995 comedy tells the story of an immature man-child (Farley) forced to go on a road trip with his childhood friend and buttoned-up co-worker (Spade) to save his family business after the suspicious death of his father. While the movie didn't exactly light the box-office on fire, it did open at #1 and quickly cemented its status as a cult classic on home video.
"Tommy Boy" was nothing short of a highlight reel for Farley's brand of physical comedy, and looked like the start of a bright and promising career. Sadly, Farley died just two years later after a fatal drug overdose. "Tommy Boy" was something of a go-to movie for networks looking to fill air time and there was rarely an afternoon in the late '90s and early aughts where you couldn't find it on cable television.
Tommy Boy - Trailer
It's hard to follow-up a cult hit, but that's what Farley and Spade attempted to do just one year after "Tommy Boy." The duo reunited for their second and final film together before Farley's tragic death the following year.
"Black Sheep" tells the story of a bumbling, underachieving brother (Farley) of a politician running for governor, who is forced to go into hiding with a campaign aide (Spade) after being mistakenly photographed in a series of calamitous, embarrassing events. Like Farley and Spade's earlier collaboration, "Black Sheep" leans heavy into Farley's physical comedy and drew parallels to the misadventures of Roger Clinton, President Bill Clinton's mischievous younger brother.
Oddly enough, the big twist at the end is Farley discovers his brother lost the campaign only because a bunch of dead voters illegally cast ballots for the incumbent--which has become fodder for Twitter commenters after President Trump mounted allegations of similar voter fraud in the 2016 campaign.
Black Sheep - Trailer
Here are some perspectives from fans who love "Tommy Boy."
And check out these perspectives from fans who love "Black Sheep."
The Tylt is focused on debates and conversations around news, current events and pop culture. We provide our community with the opportunity to share their opinions and vote on topics that matter most to them. We actively engage the community and present meaningful data on the debates and conversations as they progress. The Tylt is a place where your opinion counts, literally. The Tylt is an Advance Digital, Inc. property. Join us on Twitter @TheTylt or on Facebook, we'd love to hear what you have to say.
- Laverne Cox makes history (again!) as transgender lawyer on CBS series 'Doubt'
- Rumor the German shepherd wins best in show at Westminster 2017 (photos)
- Mobile's Garrick Ogburn is the happiest chef you'll ever meet
- The Masked Observer goes wobbling with the Conde Explorers
- Damon Johnson talks Black Star Riders, Alice Cooper, teaching Sting how to play 'Sweet Emotion'
- Have the wedding of champions at this luxury golf resort in Georgia
- Love Landmarks: Stories of real-life romance from the heart of Birmingham
- Bags with Benefits: How one Alabama company crafts beautiful bags and helps the community
- Local artist and McDonald's franchiser hosts annual art contest
- 'The Great Wall' review: Matt Damon is mad in China
You might also like
- 'The Great Wall' review: Matt Damon is mad in China
- Found objects make this artist's work unique. See it in Guttenberg
- Centenary's world premiere 'The Surrogate' asks what makes a family today
- Westminster 2017: Rumor the German shepherd wins best in show
- Westminster dog show 2017: Live updates and best in show
- Find some 'Love' at Hoboken's hob'art gallery
- 'American Son' review: This sharp, intense play is worth seeking out
- Westminster dog show 2017: N.J. winners and more from day 1
- Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas for lunch with your friends
- Christie signs bill limiting painkiller prescriptions to five days
- Christie talk on Obamacare repeal spurs worry that N.J. residents could lose coverage
- Valentine's Day gift: Transplant patient's old heart to serve as teaching tool
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia rethinks the use of his closer in tight games
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour
- I’m Taking A Break From Social Activism And OMG I Need Like Everyone I Know To Read About This
- 5 'Fate Of The Furious' Moments So Unnecessary, They're Necessary
- Noah Cyrus Reveals Her Next Tattoo & Dishes On Her Famous Family
- The Lonely Island Tell The Story Of How 'Dear Sister' Came To 'SNL'
- 'Marketplace' is America's most popular business show. Now it has ambitious plans to expand
- United fiasco shows airlines' power over passengers — and how it might change
- 'I really did it for my daughters': L.A. radio host Wendy Walsh on why she spoke out against Bill O'Reilly
- Trump backs Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but advertisers keep fleeing
- IFC swings for the comedy fences with Funny or Die's 'Brockmire'
- MGM to spend $1 billion for full control of the Epix movie service
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'Boss Baby' to sack 'Smurfs,' and other box office predictions
- Meet the new faces aboard 'Mystery Science Theater 3000's' Satellite of Love
- Werner Herzog wouldn't live anyplace other than Los Angeles, 'the city with the most substance'
- 'A blemish on America': The arts world reacts to proposed cuts in Trump's budget
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment is getting into the booming, competitive animation business
- Fox News faces another sexual harassment claim as Mercedes and Hyundai pull ads from 'O'Reilly Factor'
- Roman Polanski is denied latest bid to resolve 40-year-old statutory rape case