The feminist icon sat down with Chelsea Handler and Sarah Silverman on ‘Chelsea’ to discuss the Trump camp’s obsession with Hillary Clinton’s physical fitness.
The speculation gained steam on Infowars, the conspiracy theorist website run by Alex Jones—a noted 9/11 truther who believes the slain Sandy Hook children were “actors.” On August 4th, they ran a story claiming the Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was in poor health, “having seizures even while in public.” A flurry of stories by her opponent Donald Trump’s favorite propaganda rag The National Enquirer (sorry, Breitbart) followed, and before long Trump himself, who’s repeated many a claim that originated on Infowars and the Enquirer, addressed the manufactured controversy in a speech in Ohio in late August: “[Hillary] lacks the mental and physical stamina to take on ISIS and all of the many adversaries we face.”
So, when Hillary Clinton nearly fainted at the 9/11 Memorial, all the evidence-free gossip that had been spread by Infowars, the Enquirer, and their No. 1 fan—Donald Trump—finally bubbled to the surface. Of course, it was only walking pneumonia. But it’s pretty diabolical, isn’t it? An obese 70-year-old man who eats almost exclusively fast food calling into question the physical fitness of a woman two years his junior who does yoga, thus forcing her to adopt a grin and bear it approach with any and all illnesses until one inevitably overcomes her. Anyway, this whole silly Mean Girls-esque charade (more policy, please?) prompted Hillary to publicly release a detailed letter from her doctor giving the all-clear, and Trump to show his records (cooked up by this space cadet) to fellow snake oil salesman Dr. Oz.
Enter feminist icon Gloria Steinem. On Thursday morning, the 82-year-old appeared on Chelsea Handler’s Netflix talk show Chelsea to discuss all the health hullabaloo.
“It’s Donald who should be hospitalized, not elected [president],” declared Steinem, a fervent Hillary supporter.
“You know what? I’ve had walking pneumonia and you don’t necessarily know that you have it, I mean you just get exhausted,” she added. “First we punish [Hillary] for being too vulnerable to be president and then we punish her for being not vulnerable enough. It’s so frustrating. I can’t bear it. I really can’t bear it.” “I mean, we weren’t for Sarah Palin because she was a woman. Hello! It’s not about biology. It’s about people who stand for the majority dreams and concerns and so on. And if they also have the experience of walking around for a lifetime as an African-American person, a female person, a gay or lesbian, it helps—because they can empathize. But it’s the representation and the issues that come first.”
When Handler asked whether “age should play a factor” in who we choose as president—our current POTUS, Barack Obama, was elected at age 47 and Reagan was elected at nearly 70, while the average age of past presidents is 54 years and 11 months—Steinem politely shook her head. “No, not necessarily,” she said. “I think [mental] health and sanity plays a factor, which is why we don’t need Trump.”
Steinem was joined on the Chelsea couch by Sarah Silverman, who delivered a well-received (and partly improvised) speech at this year’s Democratic National Convention, telling the “Bernie or Bust” crowd: “You’re being ridiculous.”
“That was just in the moment,” she said of her DNC speech. “I was saying it to the fringe, fundamentalist—every sect has this fringe-fundamentalist version that is bananas, you know? That’s the extreme. So there are these ‘Bernie or Bust’ people that are anti-Hillary and are like, ‘Bernie or nothing!’ Well, there is no nothing, like, what’s your endgame?” “Look, I love Bernie but most people who change the world are not the president,” added Silverman. “But let’s get an ally in office to continue this—an ally of Bernie’s. Someone who’s gonna listen to the revolution and feel the pressure of people speaking out. She does.”
- Justin Timberlake Defends Colin Kaepernick’s National Anthem Protest: ‘It’s a Free Country’
- Jew for Jesus Arrested for Torching Omar Mateen’s Mosque
- Is Obama the Last Hope for American Hostages?
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 6 Premiere: O.J. Simpson Bangs Marcia Clark
- ‘South Park’ Premiere Mocks ‘Turd Sandwich’ Hillary Clinton
- Kanye West Fires Back at Ungrateful Protege Kid Cudi: ‘I Birthed You!’
- Jay Z Declares War on Drugs a Racist, ‘Epic Fail’ in Powerful Op-Ed
- Shadow candidates: Who’s more transparent, Clinton or Trump?
- Gmail still down as Google struggles to restore its email service
- Hillary Could Have Ebola And She'd Still Be The Better Choice
- Hillary Clinton's doctor says that she 'continues to remain healthy and fit to serve as president'
- Clinton releases more health care records ensuing pneumonia scare
You might also like
- Australia seeks to search and surveil children as young as 14 under new extremism laws
- Ten conflicts have produced the majority of the world’s refugees, report says
- Here's why Jeremy Corbyn thinks the Brexit vote makes state intervention important
- South Sudan shuts down newspaper after it covered George Clooney’s corruption report
- Listen to Newsweek's foreign service podcast on how much privacy politicians deserve
- Nicola Sturgeon won't be happy about Scotland's latest view on independence
- Britain's failure to crack down on female genital mutilation is a national scandal
- Russia has blocked PornHub and YouPorn. Things escalated quickly.
- New Russian law targets Evangelicals, Mormons, other faiths
- Five questioned in Paris about attempt to buy Kalashnikovs
- Shadow candidates: Who’s more transparent, Clinton or Trump?
- Ukraine says rebel forces have opened fire since latest ceasefire vow
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia rethinks the use of his closer in tight games
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour
- I’m Taking A Break From Social Activism And OMG I Need Like Everyone I Know To Read About This
- 5 'Fate Of The Furious' Moments So Unnecessary, They're Necessary
- Noah Cyrus Reveals Her Next Tattoo & Dishes On Her Famous Family
- The Lonely Island Tell The Story Of How 'Dear Sister' Came To 'SNL'
- 'Marketplace' is America's most popular business show. Now it has ambitious plans to expand
- United fiasco shows airlines' power over passengers — and how it might change
- 'I really did it for my daughters': L.A. radio host Wendy Walsh on why she spoke out against Bill O'Reilly
- Trump backs Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but advertisers keep fleeing
- IFC swings for the comedy fences with Funny or Die's 'Brockmire'
- MGM to spend $1 billion for full control of the Epix movie service
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'Boss Baby' to sack 'Smurfs,' and other box office predictions
- Meet the new faces aboard 'Mystery Science Theater 3000's' Satellite of Love
- Werner Herzog wouldn't live anyplace other than Los Angeles, 'the city with the most substance'
- 'A blemish on America': The arts world reacts to proposed cuts in Trump's budget
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment is getting into the booming, competitive animation business
- Fox News faces another sexual harassment claim as Mercedes and Hyundai pull ads from 'O'Reilly Factor'
- Roman Polanski is denied latest bid to resolve 40-year-old statutory rape case