A version of this post was originally published on The Belladonna Hi! Hi Everyone! Okay, SO sorry in advance, this is probably going to be...
A version of this post was originally published on The Belladonna
Hi! Hi Everyone!
Okay, SO sorry in advance, this is probably going to be kind of a long post, but my aerial yoga instructor encouraged me to share my feelings with all of you right now. So like, I’m just writing this to let all of you know that for the rest of the month I’m going to be taking a little break from social activism and defending my (as well as other people’s) rights as (a) human being(s).
Meaning that I won’t be sharing any more online petitions, retweeting inspirational quotes from the Women’s March twitter account, showing up to protests/rallies, copy and pasting instructions on how to call your state senator, or sticking up for any groups of marginalized people (including myself!) for the remainder of this month. I’m so, so, so sorry and I hope that I won’t be letting any of you down!
I know this probably sounds crazy because, like everyone “needs rights” nowadays, but lately defending my right and the rights of others to exist, live the lives they want, and have access to government funded social and medical programs (e.g., Planned Parenthood, the Affordable Care Act, Headstart, etc.) has just been bumming me out so hard!!!! So, I feel like I need a little social activism detox!
And, you’re probably thinking, “Whoa, this is coming from the girl who uploaded a photo album of like sixty pictures of the Women’s March last January!” And, I totally see where you’re coming from, but, I put a lot of thought into this decision, and after consulting with my Soul Cycle™ instructor Kendra, and holding an amethyst crystal for about forty-five minutes, I felt like taking a break from social activism was the right choice for me. And, when you think about it social activism is all about choice! Kinda!
I feel like we are all SO obsessed with social activism right now, that we aren’t focusing on other things that are like also pretty important in life like the final season of Girls (I can’t believe it’s ending for real!), Cross Fit, or figuring out how to properly apply self-tanner (finally)! And, you know I feel like my decision to take care of myself is actually really brave of me. Too many of us are choosing not to practice self care and I refuse to be one of those people!
Not to mention, standing out in the cold at rallies has been totally drying out my skin and now I’m going bankrupt from buying Korean collagen sheet masks everyday (honestly though, the whole Korean skin care trend is worth paying attention to)! I just think that going to protests, and like defending groups that are afforded less privileged than me has been crazy taxing and I feel like I owe it to myself to stop caring for a little bit!
By giving up social activism and choosing not to defend my rights as a person (including but not limited to; my right to affordable health care, safe access to abortions, equal pay, etc.) that I could just use my time more productively. Like, if I didn’t retweet that announcement for that March against Standing Rock, I could have started working on that Ketogenic fat bomb (it’s like a whole part of the cross fit program) Pinterest page that I’ve been thinking about starting.
And I mean, do you even understand how tiring it is making those calls to your local representative at lunch (I can’t call after work because that’s when I go spinning), knowing that I probably won’t be able to make it to my standing reflexology appointment before heading back to the PR firm!
Not to mention that studies show that the more you participate in social activism, the angrier you get, especially at the government! But, with the opening of my erotic pottery store just around the corner I can’t really afford to have such negative energy surrounding me! So, that’s why I will be taking a short break from social activism!
And, don’t worry! You can still reach me via text and Facebook messenger, I just won’t be discussing anything related to furthering the good of mankind. I know, I know, I am like one of those people now! LOL! But, I’ll be back to defending our rights in no time! Love and Light to all! But until then, let’s go get brunch!?
A White Woman
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'It's just not a strong signal': Residents in rural P.E.I. asked to test their internet speed
- 'It's no longer about the vanity press': self-publishing gains respect — and sales
- Coca-Cola UK HQ blocked by sculpture protest
- AP Analysis: South Koreans stunned by leader's rapid ouster
- Does Ivanka Trump back or oppose abortion rights?
- Suicide bombing at Pakistan protest kills at least 13
- ‘Women are the backbone of this country’: Thousands across the nation skip work, wear red and rally
- 'Day Without A Woman' Strike Is Closing Schools Around The Country
- A modern-day race to the moon has been in the making for years, and now it's in the final stretch
- La La Land was best picture for 2 minutes 29 seconds. Here are some other Oscar numbers
- 5 Ikea hacks to try now
You might also like
- Jeff Sessions Prepares DOJ For Crackdown On Unauthorized Border-Crossers
- Family Immigrant Detention Centers Struggle To Get Child Care Licenses
- Trump Administration Won't Routinely Separate Families At The Border After All
- New Sheriff Closes Joe Arpaio’s Infamous ‘Tent City’ Jail
- Hispanic Caucus Fears DHS Head Will Turn A Blind Eye To Agents' Bad Conduct
- Immigration Agents Won't Stop Making Arrests In Courts, Trump Officials Tell Judge
- Texas Republicans Hope To Give Child Care Licenses To Family Detention Centers
- Trump Team Still Hasn't Defined Those 'Sanctuary Cities' That It Plans To Quash
- What We Get Wrong When We Talk About Food Stamps And Immigrants
- How A Teen Girl's School Rape Case Became A Racist Witch Hunt
- New York Defiant As Trump Threatens Funds Over 'Sanctuary' Immigration Policies
- Ana's Fate Rested With An Asylum Officer Who Had Just Been Told To Doubt Her Word
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia rethinks the use of his closer in tight games
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour
- 5 'Fate Of The Furious' Moments So Unnecessary, They're Necessary
- Noah Cyrus Reveals Her Next Tattoo & Dishes On Her Famous Family
- The Lonely Island Tell The Story Of How 'Dear Sister' Came To 'SNL'
- 'Marketplace' is America's most popular business show. Now it has ambitious plans to expand
- United fiasco shows airlines' power over passengers — and how it might change
- 'I really did it for my daughters': L.A. radio host Wendy Walsh on why she spoke out against Bill O'Reilly
- Trump backs Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but advertisers keep fleeing
- IFC swings for the comedy fences with Funny or Die's 'Brockmire'
- MGM to spend $1 billion for full control of the Epix movie service
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'Boss Baby' to sack 'Smurfs,' and other box office predictions
- Meet the new faces aboard 'Mystery Science Theater 3000's' Satellite of Love
- Werner Herzog wouldn't live anyplace other than Los Angeles, 'the city with the most substance'
- 'A blemish on America': The arts world reacts to proposed cuts in Trump's budget
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment is getting into the booming, competitive animation business
- Fox News faces another sexual harassment claim as Mercedes and Hyundai pull ads from 'O'Reilly Factor'
- Roman Polanski is denied latest bid to resolve 40-year-old statutory rape case
- Settlements of more sexual harassment claims against Bill O'Reilly are reported