The new faces and voices behind the beloved bots on the recasting of cult favorite ''Mystery Science Theater 3000'
“Mystery Science Theater 3000” will land on planet Earth this Friday on Netflix. Let’s get to know the new crew members aboard the Satellite of Love.Jonah Heston (human host) - Jonah Ray
The third host in “MST3K” history, Ray joins the team of past comic hosts. First there was series creator Joel Hodgson, who played Joel Robinson. After Hodgson left the series head writer Michael J. Nelson replaced him as the character Mike Nelson. And as is apparently tradition, Ray will be keeping his first name as well. Fans may recognize Ray from his hosting gig on the “The Nerdist Podcast” and as co-host of the TV series “The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail,” with “Silicon Valley” actor Kumail Nanjiani.
Favorite “MST3K” episode: “This Island Earth”
“This Island Earth” is technically the “MST3K” movie but it still plays. “It became a thing that I would put on all the time and then go to bed to,” says Ray. In fact, one of Ray’s comedy albums, “This is Crazy Mixed-up Plumbing,” is named after a line from the film.Crow T. Robot - Hampton Yount
A consulting producer for “Ridiculousness” and writer for "The Eric Andre Show,” the standup comedian will voice the golden bot. Although you may have already seen him perform in Los Angeles comedy clubs or on “Last Comic Standing.”
Favorite “MST3K” Episode: “I Accuse My Parents.”
“That movie is so incomprehensible. The plot line is bizarre. It’s about a guy putting his parents on trial. And then there's the whole burger restaurant owner subplot. Just a guy who wants to give another guy a burger.”Tom Servo - Baron Vaughn
Vaughn comes with a long list of comedy credits, including “Grace and Frankie,” “Comedy Bang! Bang!” and “BoJack Horseman.” He’s currently working on more serious fare: a series documenting the real-life search for his father in “Fatherless” for Fusion TV.
Favorite MST3K Episode: “’Laserblast”
“Roddy McDowall is in it, it’s ... it's ridiculous.”Gypsy - Rebecca Hanson
The Second City alum is the first woman to voice Gypsy. According to Hanson, the beloved “MST3K” bot is going to get a lot more screen time and a slightly new attitude in the revival. “Now that Gypsy is voiced by a woman, there's just a different point of view there,” Hanson says. “Especially by someone who likes to have fun and doesn't mind telling people what to do, but in a fun way. I feel like Gypsy is different. I hope Gypsy is well-received by the masses.”
Favorite MST3K Episode: “Mitchell”
“I Love ‘Mitchell.’ I will often quote stuff from ‘Mitchell.’ There's a lot of ‘hot merging action’ that happens in life.”
Read out full behind-the-scenes report from the MST3K set.
On the set: The new crew takes us behind the scenes on set for the revival of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'
'Mystery Science Theater 3000' returns with new blood for the Turkey Day marathon
On the Set: A glimpse at the true power behind 'Powerless' - LA Times
Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles TimesJoel Hodgson
- The new crew of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' takes us behind the scenes for the Netflix revival
- What our robots tell us about ourselves
- European politicians have voted to rein in the robots
- Will you be replaced by a robot? A look at what jobs are going to the bots
- Moving Robots With Just a Thought
- Here's how the White House trying to stop automation from decimating the the labor market
- Friendly robots rule in four new kids' books
- Hey Alexa, tell Neato to clean this place up!
- Why your local police force loves robots
- Artisanal pizza made by Bruno the robot, and other true tales of automated food
- Robot Death Matches: A New Sport for the 21st Century
You might also like
- On the Set: A glimpse at the true power behind 'Powerless'
- Everything we learned in 'The Walking Dead' finale: Prop comedy survived the apocalypse
- We've seen the 'Doctor Who' spinoff series 'Class.' Here's what we know
- Everything we learned from the Wonder Woman WonderCon panel
- 'Riverdale' panel teases an 'Afterlife with Archie' crossover, perhaps even a Halloween special
- All the WonderCon 2017 panels you don't want to miss
- All the 'Westworld' secrets we learned from the PaleyFest panel
- 'It's important to keep working': Don Rickles in one of his last interviews
- 'Ellis Island: The Dream of America' mixes music and oral histories to tell immigrants' stories
- Making Sibelius modern with Esa-Pekka Salonen
- Atelier Rod Alan wins a loyal following with suits that mold to a person's figure
- When Ben Feldman and Mamie Gummer take the stage this weekend, think of the NEA
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia rethinks the use of his closer in tight games
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour
- I’m Taking A Break From Social Activism And OMG I Need Like Everyone I Know To Read About This
- 5 'Fate Of The Furious' Moments So Unnecessary, They're Necessary
- Noah Cyrus Reveals Her Next Tattoo & Dishes On Her Famous Family
- The Lonely Island Tell The Story Of How 'Dear Sister' Came To 'SNL'
- 'Marketplace' is America's most popular business show. Now it has ambitious plans to expand
- United fiasco shows airlines' power over passengers — and how it might change
- 'I really did it for my daughters': L.A. radio host Wendy Walsh on why she spoke out against Bill O'Reilly
- Trump backs Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but advertisers keep fleeing
- IFC swings for the comedy fences with Funny or Die's 'Brockmire'
- MGM to spend $1 billion for full control of the Epix movie service
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'Boss Baby' to sack 'Smurfs,' and other box office predictions
- Werner Herzog wouldn't live anyplace other than Los Angeles, 'the city with the most substance'
- 'A blemish on America': The arts world reacts to proposed cuts in Trump's budget
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment is getting into the booming, competitive animation business
- Fox News faces another sexual harassment claim as Mercedes and Hyundai pull ads from 'O'Reilly Factor'
- Roman Polanski is denied latest bid to resolve 40-year-old statutory rape case
- Settlements of more sexual harassment claims against Bill O'Reilly are reported