'If somebody says my voice sounds like my dad or my voice sounds like Miley, I take that as more of a compliment.'
Sign up here to read more exclusive celebrity interviews with stars like Jacob Sartorius, Maddie Ziegler, and Willow Shields!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard of Noah Cyrus. She may be Miley Cyrus’ little sister, but this Cyrus is an impressive artist in her own right.
The 17-year-old rising singer released her debut single “Make Me (Cry)” in November, and she’s dropping her first album later this year. If you’ve heard her perform on The Tonight Show or the iHeartRadio Music Awards, you know the girl’s got pipes.
We chatted with Noah about her music, her famous family and life in the spotlight.
Your family has been in the spotlight for a long time. What made you want to start singing?
I was 14 when I decided I wanted to start doing music and stuff. I was a really big fan of Ben Howard and he put out a really amazing album in 2014, and then after being inspired by my dad and Lady Gaga and Ed Sheeran, I wanted to start writing songs.
Being a part of a famous family always comes with being compared to them. Does that bother you?
No, it doesn’t bother me when people tell me I sound like my sister or my dad. My dad is my biggest musical inspiration. If somebody says my voice sounds like my dad or my voice sounds like Miley, I take that as more of a compliment.
Have Miley, or your brother, or dad ever given you any advice about dealing with fame?
They just don’t want to tell me what to do. They want to let me be. The big thing they tell me is don’t let anyone try to change who I am, what sound to do, what pose to sing in … You’re you and you want to be yourself and that’s my family’s big thing. That’s the best advice they’ve given me.
Your song “Make Me Cry” is an absolute hit. What was it like working with Labrinth?
It was so much fun working with Lab. We literally had the best time in the studio. It was amazing. We’re both really out there and we’ll mix our weird ideas with each other.
You’ve also worked with Marshmello. Are you collaborating with any other artists on your upcoming album?
Not that I know of yet. I’m still working on the album, and the writing is not done. I’m hoping by the time we wrap up the album, maybe we’ll have another feature.
Who are the musical artists on your collaboration wish list?
Ben Howard. I feel like people are going to get tired of hearing me say this. I’ll have to start sending him the recording of all of my interviews and then he’ll get the hint!
Do you think you’ll ever venture back into acting as well?
That’s a good question! I don’t know if I’ll ever get back into acting. Right now I’m so focused on writing and doing my music. I definitely want to, I just don’t know how soon.
You performed at the iHeartRadio Music Awards. Do you have any pre-show rituals you do to get ready?
We have this pre-show thing where we all get into a huddle and yell “Pop pop it’s showtime,” and I have to give credit to Bruno Mars for that one. I started doing it after I became obsessed with “24K Magic.” I want to ask Bruno if he’ll ever come to my huddle with me! My band was like, “Don’t you want to do something from your song?!” and I was like, “No! This IS my song!”
You got your septum pierced and we saw the video on your Instagram! Any other piercing plans in the future? It looks like it hurt a lot.
Ow! It hurt so bad! No plans, not after that one!
Name one celebrity whose sense of style inspires you.
Lady Gaga is my big fashion inspiration. I look up to her a lot. Or Rihanna!
We saw your post about Lady Gaga and body positivity after her Super Bowl performance. Who do you think should play the next Super Bowl halftime show?
Bruno Mars! They need to invite him back because he’s incredible.
What is your spirit animal?
A dog. My dog! My puppy Sammy.
Go-to movie theater snack?
I’ll get popcorn and just put tons of butter and salt on it.
What song are you most obsessed with right now?
Anything Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, or Gaga. But probably “Issues” by Julia Michaels.
What’s one accessory you can’t leave the house without?
What’s the lock screen pic on your phone?
A picture of my dog!
Who is your celebrity crush?
Jamie Dornan from “50 Shades of Grey.”
If you could make a guest appearance on any show, which would it be?
Even though I just did this and have already been on my dream show, I want to do it again. I want to go back on James Corden[’s show] and do “Carpool Karaoke.”
Where is one place in the world you’ve never been, but would love to travel to? ️
What’s your definition of an ideal Friday night?
Literally just laying in bed and getting to go to sleep at whatever time I want, and being able to wake up the next morning at whatever time I want.
What’s your favorite food?
If you could trade lives with anyone for a day who would it be?
Your family is big on tattoos, it seems. Any ideas for new ink this year?
Yes! I want to get a horseshoe tattoo with my mom so I think we’re going to get matching tattoos. Because we love horses, that’s a big part of my life. I was riding horses for 10 years.
What social media app are you most addicted to?
What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to?
Your eyebrows are ALWAYS on fleek. Who makes the best brow pencil?
Anastasia Brow Wiz.
Since you love Ed Sheeran, what’s your favorite song off his new album?
“How Would You Feel.”
- Justin Timberlake celebrates “being different” at iHeartRadio awards
- Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake shine at iHeartRadio Awards
- K.J. Apa On 'Riverdale' And That 'A Dog's Purpose' Controversy
- Here Are The iHeartRadio Music Award Winners
- Justin Timberlake dedicates iHeartRadio award to 'different kids'
- iHeartRadio Music Awards 2017 Live Stream: How to Watch the Show Online
- ACM Awards: Keith Urban, Miranda Lambert, Maren Morris lead nominations
- Rock Band Fronted By 15-Year-Old Girl Rejects Industry Traditions
- Lady Gaga made the biggest anti-bodyshaming fashion statement at the Grammys
- How The Grammys Gloss Over Great Indigenous Music Being Made Today
- Canadian Grammy nominees Boi-1da, Kai are behind the songs you've been hearing everywhere
- Jess Moskaluke, Andy Shauf, Colin James among Sask. artists nominated for Junos
You might also like
- The Senate Story That Everyone Is Missing
- Female Peacekeepers Fight Militants And Prejudice In Somalia
- Climate Change Is Ruining Farmers' Lives, But Only A Few Will Admit It
- Your Financial Life Could Be Ruined If Your Name Is On This Massive Government List
- The Wild History Of One Of Our Most Popular Fonts
- How Many Tree Species Are There On Earth? The Number May Surprise You
- What Trump And Xi Can Learn From The Athens Vs. Sparta Rivalry
- Ahead Of The Trump-Xi Summit, Here's What Both Sides Want
- Iran’s ‘Deep State’ Could Unseat Rouhani With A Khamenei-Backed Hard-Liner In Upcoming Elections
- Unless The Government Acts Soon, Fake News Will Produce Deep Information Inequality
- If Trump Wants To Convince Us He Cares About Women, He Should Stop Using Them As Pawns
- A Self-Inflicted Wound In Hungary
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia rethinks the use of his closer in tight games
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour
- I’m Taking A Break From Social Activism And OMG I Need Like Everyone I Know To Read About This
- 5 'Fate Of The Furious' Moments So Unnecessary, They're Necessary
- The Lonely Island Tell The Story Of How 'Dear Sister' Came To 'SNL'
- 'Marketplace' is America's most popular business show. Now it has ambitious plans to expand
- United fiasco shows airlines' power over passengers — and how it might change
- 'I really did it for my daughters': L.A. radio host Wendy Walsh on why she spoke out against Bill O'Reilly
- Trump backs Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but advertisers keep fleeing
- IFC swings for the comedy fences with Funny or Die's 'Brockmire'
- MGM to spend $1 billion for full control of the Epix movie service
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'Boss Baby' to sack 'Smurfs,' and other box office predictions
- Meet the new faces aboard 'Mystery Science Theater 3000's' Satellite of Love
- Werner Herzog wouldn't live anyplace other than Los Angeles, 'the city with the most substance'
- 'A blemish on America': The arts world reacts to proposed cuts in Trump's budget
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment is getting into the booming, competitive animation business
- Fox News faces another sexual harassment claim as Mercedes and Hyundai pull ads from 'O'Reilly Factor'
- Roman Polanski is denied latest bid to resolve 40-year-old statutory rape case
- Settlements of more sexual harassment claims against Bill O'Reilly are reported