The R-rated 'X-Men' spinoff 'Logan' slashed into the weekend box office, opening with a massive $85.3 million in North American theaters, according to studio estimates Sunday, while best-picture winner 'Moonlight' got a significant, if far from superhero-sized, Oscar bump.
NEW YORK (AP) -- The R-rated "X-Men" spinoff "Logan" slashed into the weekend box office, opening with a massive $85.3 million in North American theaters, according to studio estimates Sunday, while best-picture winner "Moonlight" got a significant, if far from superhero-sized, Oscar bump.
The debut of 20th Century Fox's "Logan," starring Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, puts it among the ranks of biggest March openings ever and top R-rated debuts. Like last year's R-rated "Deadpool" (also a Fox release), the better-than-expected opening for "Logan" -- a darkly violent, grittily dramatic movie applauded by critics -- further proves moviegoers' hunger for less conventional comic book films.
"'Deadpool,' was to comedy what 'Logan' is to drama," said Fox distribution chief Chris Aronson, who credited director and co-writer James Mangold and Jackman for executing their personal vision for the film.
Jackman has said it will be his final performance as Wolverine, whose claws he has worn for 17 years. "Logan," made for about $100 million, also sold $152.5 million in tickets overseas.
"On a global scale, we've exceeded all pre-release expectations," Aronson said.
Last week's No. 1 film, Jordan Peele's horror sensation "Get Out" slid just 22 percent -- a small drop for any movie but particularly in the horror genre. The acclaimed Universal Pictures release, made for $5 million by Blumhouse Productions, dropped to second place but still grossed $26.1 million. Its 10-day total is $75 million.
The Oscar best-picture winner "Moonlight" had its widest release yet, appearing on 1,564 screens. It turned in its biggest weekend, too, with an estimated $2.5 million. That accounts for roughly 10 percent of the movie's total domestic haul of $25.3 million.
"Moonlight," made for just $1.5 million, is also out on DVD and on-demand. Indie distributor A24 said it will be its highest-grossing release in its five-year existence. "Moonlight" also ranks fourth on iTunes.
"That's a true Oscar halo effect in full view," said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for comScore. "Usually the biggest bounce comes from the nominations. But this film hadn't made a ton of money. A24 smartly expanded into more theaters, and it really worked for them."
Barry Jenkins' drama is nevertheless one of the least widely seen best-picture winners. Only Kathryn Bigelow's "The Hurt Locker" ($17 million) earned less at the domestic box office.
Though it memorably did not win best picture, Lionsgate's "La La Land" is closing in on $400 million globally after adding another $11 million internationally and $3 million domestically.
Lionsgate's "The Shack" also opened in North American theaters over the weekend and came in third with $16.1 million. The Christian tale, starring Sam Worthington and Octavia Spencer, was slammed by critics but attracted one of the largest faith-based audiences in recent years.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to comScore. Where available, the latest international numbers also are included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
Logan Official Trailer 1 (2017) - Hugh Jackman Movie
1. "Logan," $85.3 million.
2. "Get Out," $26.1 million.
3. "The Shack," $16.1 million.
4. "The Lego Batman Movie," $11.7 million.
5. "Before I Fall," $4.9 million.
6. "John Wick: Chapter Two," $4.7 million.
7. "Hidden Figures," $3.8 million.
8. "The Great Wall," $3.5 million.
9. "Fifty Shades Darker," $3.5 million.
10. "La La Land," $3 million.
- How a high school teacher scored a stunning upset in Stéphane Dion's old riding
- 'Kong: Skull Island' poised for $50-million opening as studios take a monster franchise gamble
- 'Logan' tops China's box office despite cuts by censors
- Teacher stuns Liberals to win nomination to replace Stephane Dion
- 'Logan' shows claws in grim X-Men solo outing
- Eddie 'the Eagle' recreates Calgary Olympic glory with first ski jumps in decades
- Oscars 2017: "Moonlight" wins after "La La Land" mixup
- PricewaterhouseCoopers on Oscar flub: 'We made a human error'
- Don’t let the Oscars' mix-up ruin legacy of ‘Moonlight’
- Shock and claw: How 'Logan' became a gory tearjerker
- Academy boots both PwC accountants from future Oscars
- Hugh Jackman remembers two decades of Wolverine
You might also like
- Ben Carson confirmed by Senate as HUD secretary
- Proposed $54B jump in defense budget won’t help economy much
- White House: Trump unaware of Flynn’s foreign agent work
- Donald Trump pushes back against reports of chaotic White House, touts accomplishments
- Rex Tillerson will host Trump’s anti-Islamic State alliance summit
- Conservatives want health bill changes, House leaders resist
- Donald Trump speech to Congress demands crackdown on illegals, rebuilding of military
- Romanian protesters fight corruption
- Ben Sasse, Senate Republican, asks Justice Department to clarify its stance on Julian Assange
- ‘Beauty and the Beast’ aims to enchant a new generation
- Stewart and Assayas find a groove in the shadow of celebrity
- Noel J. Francisco, Trump’s solicitor general pick, fought Obama on recess appointments
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- Angels manager Mike Scioscia rethinks the use of his closer in tight games
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour
- I’m Taking A Break From Social Activism And OMG I Need Like Everyone I Know To Read About This
- 5 'Fate Of The Furious' Moments So Unnecessary, They're Necessary
- Noah Cyrus Reveals Her Next Tattoo & Dishes On Her Famous Family
- The Lonely Island Tell The Story Of How 'Dear Sister' Came To 'SNL'
- 'Marketplace' is America's most popular business show. Now it has ambitious plans to expand
- United fiasco shows airlines' power over passengers — and how it might change
- 'I really did it for my daughters': L.A. radio host Wendy Walsh on why she spoke out against Bill O'Reilly
- Trump backs Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but advertisers keep fleeing
- IFC swings for the comedy fences with Funny or Die's 'Brockmire'
- MGM to spend $1 billion for full control of the Epix movie service
- YouTube TV launches today. It has some cool features and some big drawbacks
- 'Boss Baby' to sack 'Smurfs,' and other box office predictions
- Meet the new faces aboard 'Mystery Science Theater 3000's' Satellite of Love
- Werner Herzog wouldn't live anyplace other than Los Angeles, 'the city with the most substance'
- 'A blemish on America': The arts world reacts to proposed cuts in Trump's budget
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment is getting into the booming, competitive animation business
- Fox News faces another sexual harassment claim as Mercedes and Hyundai pull ads from 'O'Reilly Factor'
- Roman Polanski is denied latest bid to resolve 40-year-old statutory rape case