“My paddle’s keen and bright/Flashing with silver…” If you just sang that in your head, you’re aware that canoeing is as much a part of Canadian culture as poutine, hockey, and weather-related stoicism. If you don’t currently own a canoe, then it’s time to get into the “dip dip and swing.” Here are our top reasons why.
1. It’s eco-friendly
No motor, no gasoline, no exhaust, no greenhouse gases. You can’t get much more eco-friendly than a canoe. Well, OK, you can bike...or walk...but those are hard to do on open water.
2. It’s quiet
There can be a lot of noise in so-called natural spaces: lawnmowers, motor boats, jet skis, radios—the list is pretty endless. When you’re out on the water in a canoe, though, there’s nothing to hear but the slice of your paddle through the water. Not only is that good for your own wellbeing, reducing the amount of noise pollution in natural spaces is good for wildlife too.
3. It’s portable
The problem with motor boats is that when you run out of lake, you’re pretty much done. If you’ve got a canoe, all you do is schlep it over to the next lake and let the adventure continue. Canoes are arguably easier to transport by vehicle, too—no trailer required, just a roof rack and some solid tie-downs.
4. It’s a great way to explore hard-to-reach places
If you want to get away from the crowds, there’s no better way to do it than to take your canoe on a trip where motor boats can’t go. Chances are, you can find great canoe routes wherever you live, but if you’re looking for some off-the-beaten-path adventures, try canoeing in Canada’s far north. There are great routes in the Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.
5. It’s a Canadian tradition
Canoeing is a significant part of Canada’s history, starting with our indigenous peoples and extending to the French voyageurs who searched for furs and other goods along our waterways. Whether it’s an enormous dugout canoe from the Pacific Northwest or a compact skin kayak from Baffin Island, canoes are woven into the fabric of Canada. Even if your canoe happens to be state-of-the-art kevlar beauty, you’ll still be part of a long national tradition.
6. You can learn some awesome canoeing songs
Sure, there’s “My Paddle’s Keen and Bright” (bonus points if you sing it with “Land of the Silver Birch”—the tunes fit together), but there are other great traditional canoeing songs. Try “V’la l’bon vent,” or “C’est l’aviron” to give your trip a voyageur feel. Really, anything with a good steady beat will work—and a story helps pass the time.
7. It’s a great way to get up close and personal with wildlife
When you’re gliding along in a canoe, it’s a lot easier to get close to that beaver slapping his tail on his dam, or the deer drinking at the side of the water. Just a word of caution, though—don’t get too close, especially to large animals like moose, who might charge if they’re feeling threatened. (Fun fact: moose can swim.)
8. It can be surprisingly family-friendly
Putting little kids or babies in tippy canoes doesn’t seem like the best idea, but many families paddle perfectly happily with their little ones. Hints? An approved PFD specifically for the weight of your child(ren) is a must, try to avoid long portages, at least when kids are toddlers, and tie waterproof toys to your gunwales to keep little ones amused. Want more hints? Check out this article.
9. It’s good exercise
Canoeing at a moderate speed—between 6.5 and 9.5 km/h—burns up to 400 calories per hour. Throw a long portage into that, and you’ll definitely have earned those s’mores. Keep your energy up on long paddles with calorie-dense snacks, like trail mix or energy bars.What are your reasons for owning a canoe?
ALSO WATCH: Curious dolphins interact with transparent canoe
Click to expand
Man invents new 'chicken square dance' A funny video has emerged of a man wearing a chicken hat and beak dancing in a square. The footage, captured in Zhengzhou, Henan Province in December last year, shows the man performing his 'chicken dance' to the Chinese viral chicken song. Wu reportedly spent three months to create the dance which includes 12 moves describing the chicken's growing process. Newsflare Cyclone Enawo batters Madagascar Footage has emerged of Enawo cyclone hitting the city of Sambava in Madagascar. The video, shot on Tuesday, shows a man running to get shelter amid trees and roof tiles swaying in the wind. According to reports, five people died and at least 10,000 people have been evacuated. Newsflare Cyclist miraculously survives being run over by lorry Shocking footage has emerged from China of a cyclist being run over by a lorry and miraculously getting straight back up. In the CCTV video, shot in Taizhou, Zhejiang Province last Saturday, the cyclist can be seen falling under the lorry as he is knocked off his bike. He thankfully manages to get back on his feet as the lorry drives away. He was reportedly not injured. Newsflare
Curious dolphins interact with transparent canoe
See more videos
SHARE SHARE TWEET SHARE EMAIL
What to watch next
Man invents new 'chicken square dance' Newsflare 0:49 Cyclone Enawo batters Madagascar Newsflare 0:35 Cyclist miraculously survives being run over by lorry Newsflare 0:40 Parrot learns to say viral phrase 'cash me ousside' Newsflare 0:49 Toddler teaches his dog tricks Newsflare 0:41 Rhinos face-off and clash heads in their zoo enclosure Newsflare 0:47 Lorry rear door almost hits car stopped at traffic light Newsflare 0:34 Woman performs keepie uppie tricks with shuttlecock Newsflare 1:02
Chinese chef shows off meat cleaver spinning skills Newsflare 0:36 Chinese artist carves intricate portraits out of leaves Newsflare 0:54 Lamb and deer play around home garden in Australia Newsflare 0:33 Driver refuses to reverse to let bus go in small street Newsflare 1:43 Baby cries when told she cannot have a boyfriend Newsflare 0:33 Truck smashes into snowmobile during snowstorm in Canada Newsflare 1:22 Skiers rush past lava flow near Mount Etna Newsflare 0:42 Motorists drive between snow banks after blizzard in Canada Newsflare 0:38
photo of 9 reasons why every Canadian should own a canoe
- J.D. Power & Associates 8 most dependable cars, minivan
- Wake up to this crazy good Goo Goo barbecue biscuit from Holler & Dash
- Muscle Shoals Swampers, Jimmy Hall appear in Bayside Academy music showcase
- New York City Ballet dancer returns to Alabama for "The Sleeping Beauty"
- Who should replace Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump on 'SNL'?
- Jimmy Buffett to return to The Wharf in Orange Beach
- Beer garden in the works for downtown Montgomery
- Weekend box office: 'Logan' tears up opening weekend with $85.3M debut
- Resumes are more art than science
- How to open a resume: Objective statement vs. qualifications summary
- Don't confuse a resume with an autobiography
- Do I really need a cover letter? Plus more common resume questions
- Tim Tebow stalked by Colorado woman at Mets spring camp: cops
- KING: The Democratic Party doesn't get why it's so unpopular
- Paul Ryan, Kevin McCarthy Obamacare replacement should be called ‘Abominable Care’
- Fisher’s finish leads to Match Play and a shot at Masters
- Robinson, Lind ready for a spring training job fight
- World Baseball Classic failing to draw interest of American fans
- Ben Carson confirmed by Senate as HUD secretary
- Proposed $54B jump in defense budget won’t help economy much
- Are baby boomers too old to ski? Probably not.
- With allergy season around the corner, educate yourself now
- Butter or olive oil? Eggs or no? New nutritional review cuts through the myths.
- Every traveler’s eternal question: ‘It’s 2017, why don’t we have WiFi on all planes?’
- These activists want greater home-school monitoring. Parent groups say no way.
- Tired of people asking where you’re going to college? Here’s what to say.
- Perspective | Ask Amy: Woman reels from memories of tough childhood
- Perspective | Trump’s first D.C. dinner as president: An overcooked, $54 steak. With ketchup.
- Review | Colada Shop in D.C. reviewed: Little Havana done right, and an $8 daiquiri
- Amal Clooney Demos How to Perfectly Pull Off a Skirt Suit While Pregnant
- Jennifer Lopez Made The Entire Audience Blush When She Answered This Question About A Sex Tape
- There are six styles of love. Which one best describes you?
- Switzerland Is The Best Country In The World, According To A U.S. News Survey
- A police officer’s wife wants people to remember his service — not the gruesome way he died
- This Café Only Serves Cereal And It's Incredible
- Future of B.C.'s grizzly bears at risk, according to new report
- Bullbaiting, squirrel busting: Terms used in 'My Scientology Movie' explained
- Scarlett Johansson's custody battle: What happens next?
- Review: Make time for this sensational, intense season of 'American Crime'
- Alec Baldwin talks completely, 100% uncensored about Donald Trump