The future of British Columbia’s grizzlies are at risk if action isn’t taken soon, according to a new report.
Published by the Grizzly Bear Foundation, the 88-page report stated that habitat loss and a decline in food sources are some of the main threats the bears face.
“Grizzly bears have lived in our province for at least 50,000 years,” Inquiry Chairman Michael Audain said in a release.
“But unless we take serious steps now to secure their wilderness home from encroachment by human activities and protect their food sources from the impact of climate change, in a few decades the bears may disappear.”
To curb the issue, the foundation’s three-person Board of Inquiry made 19 recommendations regarding grizzly education, conservation, and research.
Four of the foundation’s recommendations were aimed at the provincial government, including regulating bear viewing, updating the 1995 grizzly bear conservation strategy, strengthening wildlife enforcement, and—perhaps most controversial—terminating the trophy grizzly hunt.
“We believe that in terms of the long-term sustainability of grizzly bears, it’s time to stop that,” said the foundation's Suzanne Veit.
According to a report by Global News, approximately 300 of the province’s 15,000 grizzly bears are killed in the provincially sanctioned hunt each year, and critics have argued that the hunt doesn’t make economic or environmental sense.
A 2014 report by the Centre for Responsible Travel found that bear viewing in the Great Bear Rainforest contributes more to the province’s economy, both in terms of visitors and employment opportunities, than bear hunting does.
“We are host to an amazing species and are attracting visitors all around the world to see the grizzly in their natural state," Audain said.
Although grizzlies once roamed much of North America, most have been killed off. The last two sustainable populations live in the mountains of British Columbia and Alaska.
ALSO WATCH: Grizzly bear involved in death of forest cop alive, free
Click to expand
UP NEXTGrizzly bear involved in death of forest cop alive, free USA TODAY Seeing a lot of red today? This is why USA TODAY Brush fires kill 6 in Plains states, destroy homes in Florida USA TODAY
Grizzly bear involved in death of forest cop alive, free
See more videos
SHARE SHARE TWEET SHARE EMAIL
What to watch next
Grizzly bear involved in death of forest cop alive, free USA TODAY 0:43 Seeing a lot of red today? This is why USA TODAY 1:52 Brush fires kill 6 in Plains states, destroy homes in Florida USA TODAY 0:32 Why you shouldn't tell a woman to smile USA TODAY 0:50 Trump team: WikiLeaks is different now that Trump is being hacked USA TODAY 1:09 President Trump promised mine jobs and highways; West Virginia won't forget USA TODAY 3:23 Participating or not, your complete guide to #ADayWithoutAWoman USA TODAY 0:46 FBI probing release of CIA hacking tools USA TODAY 1:09
How Trump feels about WikiLeaks: A timeline USA TODAY 1:09 'A Day Without a Woman': Strikes, rallies, political action USA TODAY 0:46 Fla. brush fire destroys two homes as flames close I-75 USA TODAY 0:56 5 things you need to know Wednesday USA TODAY 0:59 Statue of Liberty went dark and Twitter lit up USA TODAY 0:45 China: North Korea could suspend nuclear activities if U.S. halts military exercises USA TODAY 1:00 Can't skip work? Flex muscle in other ways on Day Without a Woman USA TODAY 0:46 Conservative group counters A Day Without a Woman with #WeShowUP USA TODAY 0:46
photo of Future of B.C.'s grizzly bears at risk, according to new report
- J.D. Power & Associates 8 most dependable cars, minivan
- Wake up to this crazy good Goo Goo barbecue biscuit from Holler & Dash
- Muscle Shoals Swampers, Jimmy Hall appear in Bayside Academy music showcase
- New York City Ballet dancer returns to Alabama for "The Sleeping Beauty"
- Who should replace Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump on 'SNL'?
- Jimmy Buffett to return to The Wharf in Orange Beach
- Beer garden in the works for downtown Montgomery
- Weekend box office: 'Logan' tears up opening weekend with $85.3M debut
- Resumes are more art than science
- How to open a resume: Objective statement vs. qualifications summary
- Don't confuse a resume with an autobiography
- Do I really need a cover letter? Plus more common resume questions
- Tim Tebow stalked by Colorado woman at Mets spring camp: cops
- KING: The Democratic Party doesn't get why it's so unpopular
- Paul Ryan, Kevin McCarthy Obamacare replacement should be called ‘Abominable Care’
- Fisher’s finish leads to Match Play and a shot at Masters
- Robinson, Lind ready for a spring training job fight
- World Baseball Classic failing to draw interest of American fans
- Ben Carson confirmed by Senate as HUD secretary
- Proposed $54B jump in defense budget won’t help economy much
- Are baby boomers too old to ski? Probably not.
- With allergy season around the corner, educate yourself now
- Butter or olive oil? Eggs or no? New nutritional review cuts through the myths.
- Every traveler’s eternal question: ‘It’s 2017, why don’t we have WiFi on all planes?’
- These activists want greater home-school monitoring. Parent groups say no way.
- Tired of people asking where you’re going to college? Here’s what to say.
- Perspective | Ask Amy: Woman reels from memories of tough childhood
- Perspective | Trump’s first D.C. dinner as president: An overcooked, $54 steak. With ketchup.
- Review | Colada Shop in D.C. reviewed: Little Havana done right, and an $8 daiquiri
- Amal Clooney Demos How to Perfectly Pull Off a Skirt Suit While Pregnant
- Jennifer Lopez Made The Entire Audience Blush When She Answered This Question About A Sex Tape
- There are six styles of love. Which one best describes you?
- 9 reasons why every Canadian should own a canoe
- Switzerland Is The Best Country In The World, According To A U.S. News Survey
- A police officer’s wife wants people to remember his service — not the gruesome way he died
- This Café Only Serves Cereal And It's Incredible
- Bullbaiting, squirrel busting: Terms used in 'My Scientology Movie' explained
- Scarlett Johansson's custody battle: What happens next?
- Review: Make time for this sensational, intense season of 'American Crime'
- Alec Baldwin talks completely, 100% uncensored about Donald Trump