In a time of increased Islamophobia, a former DJ from Oklahoma is a new kind of leader.
Sara Polon, 39, founded Soupergirl, a vegan soup delivery/restaurant, with her mom in 2008. Soupergirl’s soups are on the shelves at health food stores and Costco. She lives in Cleveland Park.
You used to do stand-up. Is it a coincidence that you became a vegan and stopped being funny at the same time?
I think becoming a vegan made me funnier.
I hope. There’s something about finding comfort in yourself that allows you to be funnier. And laugh at yourself with greater ease.
A lot of people have a vague dream about entrepreneurship. Like, “I’ll make healthy, locally sourced soups with my mom! And we’ll make a fortune!” But I think very few people do it, and very few people are still doing it eight years later. What did you make happen that worked?
I always say the best decisions I ever made in my life I didn’t think out very well. If I had really projected it out, no way I would have done this. I haven’t really slept in eight years. It’s been indescribably hard, but yet I have also — the past eight years are the happiest I’ve ever been in my life. I also know I am one of the luckiest people on the planet. I dragged my mother out of retirement! No woman should ask of her mother what I asked of mine. However, when it was just the two of us, the laughing that we did is — you don’t have that with anyone else. We miss it, even though they were hard times.
How many employees do you have?
Look at you! Job creator!
I go into the fetal position every payroll.
What’s the weirdest soup you sell?
It’s not the weirdest, but the one that customers can become obsessed with is our beet gazpacho. People are very weirded out by beets. They don’t know what to do with them. They’re kind of a pain to cook; they stain, and people have beets in cans and they look gross. People are wary. But once they try it. ... I had someone email me last night. The wind was blowing, it was 20 degrees. He was asking why he couldn’t get the beet gazpacho. I was like, Dude, that’s a cold soup.
Not if you heat it up.
Please don’t heat up gazpacho. Oh my gosh.
Really? What happens?
It’s just gross. It’s tomatoes and cucumbers. Never eat a hot cucumber. I’ve never heated it. I don’t know what would happen. I can’t answer that.
What is your worst soup experience?
Flying peanut soup! We were loading the soup into the refrigerator, and I don’t know if a gust of wind hit or what happened, but I’m holding a pint of my carrot peanut soup and it just lifted up into the air and poured all over my head. My mom just stood up and started applauding and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, Soupergirl!”
More Just Asking
For stories, features such as Date Lab, Gene Weingarten and more, visit WP Magazine.
Follow the Magazine on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook.
Email us at email@example.com.
photo of Sara Polon started her soup business with her mother. Now it’s overflowing.
Contrary to recent headlines, the McMansion is not dying.
SUNDAY SUPPER | A few key Asian ingredients transform a basic dish into a warming family meal.
Julie Dash’s landmark 1991 movie, “Daughters of the Dust,” is inspiring new artists.
The national security adviser talks transitions and what we should be worried about.
James Street reflects on the emotions that come with the job — and the power of just talking.
Advice for a graphic artist.
The music director is the first woman to lead a major American symphony.
A reporter reveals how he investigated Trump’s claims on his donations to charity.
Letter writer resents organized monthly festivities to celebrate birthdays.
- J.D. Power & Associates 8 most dependable cars, minivan
- Wake up to this crazy good Goo Goo barbecue biscuit from Holler & Dash
- Muscle Shoals Swampers, Jimmy Hall appear in Bayside Academy music showcase
- New York City Ballet dancer returns to Alabama for "The Sleeping Beauty"
- Who should replace Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump on 'SNL'?
- Jimmy Buffett to return to The Wharf in Orange Beach
- Beer garden in the works for downtown Montgomery
- Weekend box office: 'Logan' tears up opening weekend with $85.3M debut
- Resumes are more art than science
- How to open a resume: Objective statement vs. qualifications summary
- Don't confuse a resume with an autobiography
- Do I really need a cover letter? Plus more common resume questions
- Tim Tebow stalked by Colorado woman at Mets spring camp: cops
- KING: The Democratic Party doesn't get why it's so unpopular
- Paul Ryan, Kevin McCarthy Obamacare replacement should be called ‘Abominable Care’
- Fisher’s finish leads to Match Play and a shot at Masters
- Robinson, Lind ready for a spring training job fight
- World Baseball Classic failing to draw interest of American fans
- Ben Carson confirmed by Senate as HUD secretary
- Proposed $54B jump in defense budget won’t help economy much
- Are baby boomers too old to ski? Probably not.
- With allergy season around the corner, educate yourself now
- Butter or olive oil? Eggs or no? New nutritional review cuts through the myths.
- Every traveler’s eternal question: ‘It’s 2017, why don’t we have WiFi on all planes?’
- These activists want greater home-school monitoring. Parent groups say no way.
- Tired of people asking where you’re going to college? Here’s what to say.
- Perspective | Ask Amy: Woman reels from memories of tough childhood
- Perspective | Trump’s first D.C. dinner as president: An overcooked, $54 steak. With ketchup.
- Review | Colada Shop in D.C. reviewed: Little Havana done right, and an $8 daiquiri
- Amal Clooney Demos How to Perfectly Pull Off a Skirt Suit While Pregnant
- Jennifer Lopez Made The Entire Audience Blush When She Answered This Question About A Sex Tape
- There are six styles of love. Which one best describes you?
- 9 reasons why every Canadian should own a canoe
- Switzerland Is The Best Country In The World, According To A U.S. News Survey
- A police officer’s wife wants people to remember his service — not the gruesome way he died
- This Café Only Serves Cereal And It's Incredible
- Future of B.C.'s grizzly bears at risk, according to new report
- Bullbaiting, squirrel busting: Terms used in 'My Scientology Movie' explained
- Scarlett Johansson's custody battle: What happens next?
- Review: Make time for this sensational, intense season of 'American Crime'