In honor of International Women’s Day and the #5womenartists campaign, we’re once again recognizing the women who left a mark on art history.
Where can you get goods created by or benefitting women on International Women's Day?
Our bossy, persistent, disruptive shopping guide is here, with a toast to those participating in A Day Without a Woman (those involved are being asked to take the day off, wear red and avoid shopping in stores and online — except for local small businesses and women-owned companies).
All these goodies were produced by women-run businesses. (Photo: The Zoe Report)Support women who give back
Rachel Zoe's spring style box ($99.99 with a seasonal membership) is packed with items from exclusively women-owned businesses. Products include Tribe Alive's custom Carryall Bag (a creation which employed over 150 Indian artisans), a patterned Symbology scarf (from founder Marissa Heyl), Adornmonde Ivo earrings, Tatcha Polished Gentle Rice enzyme powder (founder Victoria Tsai's One in a Million Collection supports women’s education around the globe) a BKR water bottle (from Tal Winter and Kate Cutler) and Butter London nail polish (founded by entrepreneur Sasha Muir).
A new women-led collaboration lands at Madewell.com. (Photo: Madewell)Ogle this new capsule collection
Madewell x Where I Was From's just-launched capsule collection highlights a partnership with Claire Lampert and Stacy Daily of the cult-favorite online shop Where I Was From. The 12-piece limited-edition collection features dusty rose cropped jeans, striped tops and cheeky heart-embellished high-rise denim shorts.
Jessica Chastain stars as Antonina Zabinski in director Niki Caro's 'The Zookeeper's Wife,' about a couple's efforts to save Jews in Nazi-occupied Poland. (Photo: Anne Marie Fox, Focus Features)Support women directors
Want to support women in the arts? Mark your calendars for The Zookeeper's Wife (out March 31). Starring Jessica Chastain, the upcoming WWII drama is directed by Niki Caro, who hired over 60 women for the film's production. Then check out these 10 films directed by women we can't wait to see.
Ambitious is not a dirty word. (Photo: toryburch.com)Wear your ambition on your sleeve
Tory Burch wants to change the way we talk about ourselves. Her new initiative, Embrace Ambition, aims to transform ambition into a positive word for women everywhere (watch the celeb-packed PSA here). Head to toryburch.com for "Embrace Ambition” bracelets ($30) and t-shirts ($68) – 100% percent of the net proceeds of these products will go to the Tory Burch Foundation, which empowers female entrepreneurs.
Great reads about women await. (Photo: Simon & Schuster, Knopf)Books, books and more books
This month brings a host of notable non-fiction from women authors. Our picks include Joan Didion's latest work, South and West: From a Notebook and Madame President, a new biography of Liberia's Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Africa’s first female president from author Helene Cooper, the Pentagon correspondent for The New York Times.
Also check out We: A Manifesto for Women Everywhere from actress Gillian Anderson and journalist Jennifer Nadel and The Price of Illusion, a candid memoir from Joan Juliet Buck, the former editor of Paris Vogue.
Gobble founder Ooshma Garg cooks a sample one-pan meal. (Photo: Gobble)Make a homemade meal in 10 minutes
That's the one-pan promise of Gobble, a healthy, homemade dinner kit service started by Ooshma Garg. The Blue Apron-like service is currently available in California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Idaho, and Utah (and will expand nationwide this summer). Meals come prepped for two or four people.
Draper James partnered with Birchbox on this March box. (Photo: Birchbox)Sample Reese Witherspoon's faves
When she's not starring in Big Little Lies or the upcoming A Wrinkle in Time, Witherspoon runs a thriving production company and clothing line, Draper James. This month, Draper James partnered with Birchbox (co-founded in 2010 by Hayley Barna and Katia Beauchamp) for its "Pretty Mighty" March box, featuring Witherspoon's "power products," including Benefit's POREfessional Face Primer, R+Co Dallas Thickening Spray, Clarins Hydra Essential Silky Cream, Arrow Boost Color Enhancing Lip Balm and Davines OI All in One Milk plus OI Shampoo + Conditioner.
New customers to Birchbox (which costs $10 a month) can opt to receive this as their first box through March 24. Current subscribers can choose to receive the featured box in March in lieu of their regular box.
That's right. (Photo: Milly)Get bossy already
Embrace your inner boss with this t-shirt from Milly, launched by designer Michelle Smith, $90. We're also big fans of 'The Future is Female' graphic tee from Otherwild, $30 (25% of proceeds go to Planned Parenthood).
Art and wine in one. (Photo: https://nomadica.wine)Toast your ladies
When Harvard MBA Emma Toshack left Snapchat, she had crushed grapes on the brain. Last year, Toshack launched Nomadica Wine Co, which offers canned wine – one of our favorite trends – from small-batch wineries. Their slim cans feature art by a variety of illustrators, painters and sculptors. Shop Nomadica's selection of Chenin Blanc and Pinot Noir here.Thank a gal you love
Started by entrepreneur Ali Webb, DryBar is now the go-to destination for a Kate Middleton-worthy blowout. Give a girlfriend the day off of doing her own hair with a gift card ($40 and up).
That's a statement leather jacket. (Photo: shopbop.com)Splurge on statement fashion
On Wednesday, shopbop.com is launching an exclusive VEDA Venus Jade Jacket for International Women’s Day. It's not cheap (the jacket retails for $1,228) but designed by Texas-born, New York based designer Lyndsey Butler, this leather jacket carries a major statement.Throw some shade (in your bag)
Led by founder Toni Ko, Perverse Sunglasses (a brand loved by celebs) is more than 81% women employed. Perverse is celebrating International Women's Day with 30% off site-wide on Wednesday. Also check out bishop + young, a SoCal brand launched by Elizabeth Bishop, which is offering 25% off all day.
photo of Your International Women's Day shopping guide to women-owned businesses
Schools are realizing they can't operate without women.
In honor of Women's History Month, we challenge you to name names.
- J.D. Power & Associates 8 most dependable cars, minivan
- Wake up to this crazy good Goo Goo barbecue biscuit from Holler & Dash
- Muscle Shoals Swampers, Jimmy Hall appear in Bayside Academy music showcase
- New York City Ballet dancer returns to Alabama for "The Sleeping Beauty"
- Who should replace Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump on 'SNL'?
- Jimmy Buffett to return to The Wharf in Orange Beach
- Beer garden in the works for downtown Montgomery
- Weekend box office: 'Logan' tears up opening weekend with $85.3M debut
- Resumes are more art than science
- How to open a resume: Objective statement vs. qualifications summary
- Don't confuse a resume with an autobiography
- Do I really need a cover letter? Plus more common resume questions
- Tim Tebow stalked by Colorado woman at Mets spring camp: cops
- KING: The Democratic Party doesn't get why it's so unpopular
- Paul Ryan, Kevin McCarthy Obamacare replacement should be called ‘Abominable Care’
- Fisher’s finish leads to Match Play and a shot at Masters
- Robinson, Lind ready for a spring training job fight
- World Baseball Classic failing to draw interest of American fans
- Ben Carson confirmed by Senate as HUD secretary
- Proposed $54B jump in defense budget won’t help economy much
- Are baby boomers too old to ski? Probably not.
- With allergy season around the corner, educate yourself now
- Butter or olive oil? Eggs or no? New nutritional review cuts through the myths.
- Every traveler’s eternal question: ‘It’s 2017, why don’t we have WiFi on all planes?’
- These activists want greater home-school monitoring. Parent groups say no way.
- Tired of people asking where you’re going to college? Here’s what to say.
- Perspective | Ask Amy: Woman reels from memories of tough childhood
- Perspective | Trump’s first D.C. dinner as president: An overcooked, $54 steak. With ketchup.
- Review | Colada Shop in D.C. reviewed: Little Havana done right, and an $8 daiquiri
- Amal Clooney Demos How to Perfectly Pull Off a Skirt Suit While Pregnant
- Jennifer Lopez Made The Entire Audience Blush When She Answered This Question About A Sex Tape
- There are six styles of love. Which one best describes you?
- 9 reasons why every Canadian should own a canoe
- Switzerland Is The Best Country In The World, According To A U.S. News Survey
- A police officer’s wife wants people to remember his service — not the gruesome way he died
- This Café Only Serves Cereal And It's Incredible
- Future of B.C.'s grizzly bears at risk, according to new report
- Bullbaiting, squirrel busting: Terms used in 'My Scientology Movie' explained
- Scarlett Johansson's custody battle: What happens next?
- Review: Make time for this sensational, intense season of 'American Crime'