President Trump is wading into the fray Thursday and flexing his deal making skills to build momentum behind the Republican Party's Obamacare repeal bill
It's never too early to start a business.
When he was 3½ years old, Ryan Hickman visited the rePlanet recycling center in California, and found his life's mission.
The next day, as he greeted his dad, Damion, at their San Juan Capistrano driveway, he pointed down the street and made an announcement: "My new business! I'm going to pick up all the cans and bottles from everyone in the neighborhood."
Today, at the ripe old age of 7, he is the CEO, manager and employee of Ryan's Recycling Company. He has 50 customers and over 200,000 bottles and cans in his recycling credit.
Though Ryan says he doesn't remember what made it all start (It was over half his life ago!) he remains passionate about the reason. "It's because bottles get to the ocean and then animals get sick and die," he says.
According to Damion Hickman, Ryan has saved over $11,000, which was matched by "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" last January. The money is going toward a college account, though Ryan says he wants to buy a full-size trash truck and eventually become a garbage man. In a joint interview with CNN, his father says they've designated it for college for the time being and by 18 Ryan can make the decision himself. "Yeah, but I want to buy a truck," Ryan insists.
One of Ryan's favorite places is the Pacific Marine Mammal Center, to which he donates all his brand's T-shirt proceedings -- over $3,700 thus far. "I like to go there and look at sea lions, and the money that we donate to them gives them medicine and food," he says.
Four years into the venture, neighbors have grown accustomed to the little boy who comes knocking for their recyclables, and the more enthusiastic ones call to ask for a pickup or even drop off bags at the Hickmans' door.
At school, Ryan's favorite activity is helping the janitor, Mr. Jose, separate the trash.
"My wife and I support him doing it and we told him that whenever he wants to stop he can," Hickman says. "I want to see him with friends but the recycling just makes him happy. He's actually recruited his friends now so it's Ryan and five of his friends helping Mr. Jose."
Hickman, a graphic designer and no more than an average recycler himself, emphasizes that it has all been "100% Ryan, though of course I'm the driver -- every three weeks or so we go to the recycling center -- and I also help him sort into glass, aluminum and plastic when it's a big pile."
Despite the outpouring of support and gratitude, Hickman remains slightly cautious. "I try to discourage direct donations, I don't want people to think we're trying to make money off the kid," he says. "We certainly appreciate it and I realize it makes people feel good; 99% of the comments say how inspiring it is. But a fraction of the comments say 'the kid is a marketing tool for a mom and dad business' and we just try not to read them. I started typing a response once and stopped. I feel it's not worth it."
photo of At 7, this boy runs a company and saves for college
The White House is privately lining up behind conservative calls to roll back Obamacare's Medicaid expansion sooner than the health care reform bill currently calls for, two senior administration officials and a senior House conservative aide told CNN on Thursday.
A group representing gay veterans says it was denied entry to Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade over a rainbow flag, reigniting a tense issue that had seemingly been resolved and sparking promises of a boycott from the mayor and other elected officials.
Does an Illinois special prosecutor asked to probe if police manipulated evidence to convict an innocent man need his own special prosecutor?
Three years after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished, searchers have found debris in the Indian Ocean believed to be from the doomed airliner. They have confirmed three pieces as certainly from the plane, while five others remain highly likely but inconclusive.
Legal challenges against President Donald Trump's revised travel ban mounted Thursday as Washington state said it would renew its request to block the executive order.
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says he has ordered officials to look at how Canada calculates military spending compared to other NATO members, to ensure all allies are comparing "apples to apples."
If the Trudeau government plans to take steps to address the economic risks of the Donald Trump presidency, they won't be in the upcoming federal budget.
While Const. David Wynn's widow is thrilled a bill named after her late husband passed second reading in Ottawa Wednesday, the way two local MPs voted was "difficult" for her.
Here are key dates over the past two years as the federal government pursues marijuana legalization and initiatives by Toronto police to crack down on businesses dispensing the drug.
- J.D. Power & Associates 8 most dependable cars, minivan
- Wake up to this crazy good Goo Goo barbecue biscuit from Holler & Dash
- Muscle Shoals Swampers, Jimmy Hall appear in Bayside Academy music showcase
- New York City Ballet dancer returns to Alabama for "The Sleeping Beauty"
- Who should replace Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump on 'SNL'?
- Jimmy Buffett to return to The Wharf in Orange Beach
- Beer garden in the works for downtown Montgomery
- Weekend box office: 'Logan' tears up opening weekend with $85.3M debut
- Resumes are more art than science
- How to open a resume: Objective statement vs. qualifications summary
- Don't confuse a resume with an autobiography
- Do I really need a cover letter? Plus more common resume questions
- Tim Tebow stalked by Colorado woman at Mets spring camp: cops
- KING: The Democratic Party doesn't get why it's so unpopular
- Paul Ryan, Kevin McCarthy Obamacare replacement should be called ‘Abominable Care’
- Fisher’s finish leads to Match Play and a shot at Masters
- Robinson, Lind ready for a spring training job fight
- World Baseball Classic failing to draw interest of American fans
- Ben Carson confirmed by Senate as HUD secretary
- Proposed $54B jump in defense budget won’t help economy much
- EPA head Scott Pruitt wonders what all the fuss is about over carbon dioxide
- Guns in America: Bill seeks to reverse a decades-old ban on gun-violence research
- LGBTQ veterans slam organizers for barring group from Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day parade
- Gloria Steinem's next chapter: Educating girls in rural Africa
- Trump vowed to expand the number of U.S. aircraft carriers despite mounting vulnerabilities
- Trump's 'beachhead:' The president has quietly installed hundreds in federal jobs
- Are Donald Trump’s draconian immigration policies working?
- Why has Trump appointed one of his critics as Russian ambassador?
- Women rally for equality, and against Trump, on International Women's Day
- CIA contractors potential source behind latest WikiLeaks release
- Texas moves to curb transgender bathroom access amid protests
- Does Ivanka Trump back or oppose abortion rights?
- Rod Rosenstein nomination: What’s it really about?
- In Trump's coming battle with Congress, who wins and who loses?
- Powerful winds whip through the Great Lakes region
- Vehicles have been trapped at Biloxi crash site before
- Military looking into reports of more nude photo groups
- Gay veterans group says it's not allowed in Boston St. Patrick's parade
- Strange new twist in coldest murder case
- “Public safety crisis,” State troopers prepare for ‘sinister’ budget cuts