The fire was located at a home on Costa Mesa Close N.E. and was called in by a neighbour just before 3 p.m.
Calgary Fire Department officials said two adults and six children were evacuated safely from a house fire Thursday afternoon.
The fire was located at a home on Costa Mesa Close N.E. and was called in by a neighbour just before 3 p.m. Thick, black smoke could be seen from the windows of the home.
“The residents had arrived home after grocery shopping, opened the door and found the house full of smoke,” the fire department said in a statement.
A compromised floor structure caused crews to take firefighting efforts outside. Smoke entered neighbouring homes, but there was no physical damage to other buildings.
Fire officials said there was very serious damage to the inside of the home. It was unclear if the house would need to be written off.
A cat was rescued by firefighters and taken to a veterinarian, however, one kitten was unaccounted for as of Thursday night.
Firefighters continue to investigate the cause of the fire. Officials said it’s unknown if there were working fire alarms in the residence.
With files from Janet Lore
- It's the weekend, so you know what that means: there's another subway closure
- Sudbury drive-by shootings likely drug related, police report
- Ottawa's bumbling reaction to Uber underlines city's lack of vision
- Jordin Tootoo nominated for NHL Foundation Player Award
- Jordin Tootoo appears in new video for RCMP anti-violence campaign
- Texas among 12 U.S. states opposing Obama's call for inclusive trans bathroom rights
- RCMP respond to FSIN statement on fatally shot Indigenous man
- 'After Beaumont Hamel' event in St. John's to remember other WW1 soldiers
- Booboo the bear takes over Barachois Pond Park, scares campers
- Sperenza day camp questions investigation by province
- Destructive blaze at Calgary auto recycling facility under investigation
- Calgary's fireworks rules will defuse your plans for putting on your own show
You might also like
- Melania Trump's Website, Biography Have Disappeared From The Internet
- Trump Just Totally Ignored Science... Again
- Democratic Donors Gripe That Clinton Foundation Giving Isn't Buying DNC Access
- Dr. Dre will not face charges after Malibu incident
- 91-Year-Old Who Designed 'Offensive' Shirt Saying A Woman Would Be President Is Ready To See It Happen
- Clinton Campaign: Trump Needs To Guarantee He Won't Leak Before Getting Briefed
- Donald Trump Keeps Making Us Wonder If This Could Possibly Be Real Life
- Good Girls Have Abortions, Too, NARAL Chief Says
- America Is Pretty Damn Great Already, Biden Says In Fiery DNC Speech
- Democrats Savage Donald Trump From Every Direction Wednesday Night
- Read President Obama's Full Speech To The DNC
- Black Dandyism: When dressing got political
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Israeli prime minister talks of a snap election amid concerns over a new public broadcaster
- U.S. condemns suspected Syrian chemical attack on civilians, but says the Assad government is a 'political reality'
- Canada's largest school board will end class trips to the U.S. due to Trump's travel restrictions
- Warplanes strike Syrian town already hit by chemical attack
- Vigilantes prowl Europe's border with a target: Muslim migrants
- A letter from Britain to the European Union will trigger the 'Brexit' process March 29
- Ukraine president suggests a Kremlin-orchestrated attack after former Russian lawmaker is shot dead in Kiev
- Russian officials say St. Petersburg subway blast killed at least 11 and injured dozens
- As death toll in hospital attack soars to 50, Afghanistan investigates whether it was an inside job
- South Korea's ousted leader moves out of palace, apologizes for 'not fulfilling my duties'
- A brazen political killing shakes Myanmar, already teetering on the path to democracy
- India's Narendra Modi leads his party to victory in a state with more than 200 million people
- A controversial Thai monk is wanted in connection with a fraud case. His followers won't give him up
- Another Dalit suicide on campus raises fears of a crisis of discrimination at Indian universities
- Syrian government insists it does not use chemical weapons; US vows serious response to attack
- Bodies of U.N. workers and interpreter found in Congo, prompting calls for investigation
- Hamas hangs 3 Palestinians in Gaza it says were collaborating with Israel
- Basque group ETA hands over weapons, ammunition and explosives to France
- Syrian ally Iran blasts U.S. missile strikes as 'dangerous, destructive and a violation of international law'