Joe Girardi understands why Dellin Betances has not reported for spring training yet.
TAMPA -Joe Girardi understands why Dellin Betances has not reported for spring training yet, as the dominant setup man awaits the conclusion of his Friday arbitration hearing.
“Obviously, you want all your players in camp when it starts because you want to make sure they’re prepared, and he’s going to the (World Baseball Classic),” Girardi said Wednesday. “But I know he’s doing work and I understand why he’s not here. It’s an excused absence from us, but you never want to see someone not here. That’s the bottom line.”
Betances, who earned the league minimum ($507,000) last season, is seeking $5 million for 2017 while the Yankees filed at $3 million.
“It’s been a number of years since we’ve been through this, but the process is what the process is,” Hal Steinbrenner said. “It’s nothing personal. We love Dellin. He knows that. He’s been great for the organization, came up through the ranks, it’s just a procedural thing. The numbers were too far apart. That’s the obvious answer to your question, but that’s the reality.”
More questions than answers for Yankees rotation to start spring
Girardi wished the case could’ve been completed before spring training started.
“God forbid he got hurt in those two days. I’m not saying that he’s not in shape and he won’t be ready to go, but I think it’s somewhat of a distraction for a player when you’re waiting to find out what it’s going to be and they’re doing preparation,” Girardi said. “It was recommended by his agent that he wait until it gets done. There are so many good things in this game from a financial standpoint. This is the part that sometimes gets a little ugly because one side is arguing why you should get the money and the other side is going to bring up things why you shouldn’t get the money. It’s just something that you have to deal with. Hopefully, it’s a one-time thing that we go through this. My wish would be that arbitration cases are always done before spring training starts, so the player has a chance to be there on time.”
HOPING FOR THE BEST
Highly-touted Cardinals pitcher Alex Reyes suffered a partially torn UCL in his elbow and will have season-ending Tommy John surgery. Masahiro Tanaka had the same partial UCL tear in 2014. So, Girardi admitted, there is always concern that a more serious injury could eventually arise.
Yankees hope arbitration hearing doesn’t affect Dellin Betances
“Everyone always thinks precursor, precursor, precursor (to Tommy John),” Girardi said. “Some guys just last longer. I hope it never happens, but it’s something you have to think about.”
Tanaka had career highs in starts (31) and innings pitched (199.2) last season. The Yankees would gladly sign up for that again.
Joe Girardi was asked about Luis Severino’s offseason workouts with Pedro Martinez, and then what Severino needs to do to earn a spot in the rotation.
Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.
“Well, if he wants to pitch like Pedro that would work,” Girardi quipped.Send a Letter to the Editor
- Syndergaard believes bulking up only helps — Mets hope he's right
- Hal talks A-Rod's future role during State of the Yankees address
- Why wait? Mets need to get David Wright work at first base now
- How Buccaneers' Jameis Winston blew away Yankees prospects
- Mets have dilemma with Zack Wheeler: Can he be moved to the bullpen?
- Mets' David Wright opens up about his rehab and possibility of ending up at 1st base
- Ruben Tejada, now with Yankees, finally saying ugly Chase Utley incident is 'history'
- How do Jeurys Familia's Mets teammates feel about his off-field actions? It's complicated
- Here's why Mets' Jeurys Familia will talk only baseball
- MLB trade rumors: Phillies gearing up to land a star?
- Why Yankees legend says Didi Gregorius, not Gleyber Torres, is SS of future
- Kaprielian can make Yankees rotation if he stays healthy: Cashman
You might also like
- Valentine's Day pro tip: Try not to snore before dinner
- Best Chris Farley movie: 'Tommy Boy' or 'Black Sheep'
- Laverne Cox makes history (again!) as transgender lawyer on CBS series 'Doubt'
- Rumor the German shepherd wins best in show at Westminster 2017 (photos)
- Mobile's Garrick Ogburn is the happiest chef you'll ever meet
- The Masked Observer goes wobbling with the Conde Explorers
- Damon Johnson talks Black Star Riders, Alice Cooper, teaching Sting how to play 'Sweet Emotion'
- Samford basketball comes up short in 79-77 road decision at ETSU
- Samford heads to ETSU for pivotal SoCon road test Wednesday
- Samford's Burns named to NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List
- Baseball Sweeps Doubleheader; Sets School Record With 27 Runs in One Game
- Have the wedding of champions at this luxury golf resort in Georgia
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Israeli prime minister talks of a snap election amid concerns over a new public broadcaster
- U.S. condemns suspected Syrian chemical attack on civilians, but says the Assad government is a 'political reality'
- Canada's largest school board will end class trips to the U.S. due to Trump's travel restrictions
- Warplanes strike Syrian town already hit by chemical attack
- Vigilantes prowl Europe's border with a target: Muslim migrants
- A letter from Britain to the European Union will trigger the 'Brexit' process March 29
- Ukraine president suggests a Kremlin-orchestrated attack after former Russian lawmaker is shot dead in Kiev
- Russian officials say St. Petersburg subway blast killed at least 11 and injured dozens
- As death toll in hospital attack soars to 50, Afghanistan investigates whether it was an inside job
- South Korea's ousted leader moves out of palace, apologizes for 'not fulfilling my duties'
- A brazen political killing shakes Myanmar, already teetering on the path to democracy
- India's Narendra Modi leads his party to victory in a state with more than 200 million people
- A controversial Thai monk is wanted in connection with a fraud case. His followers won't give him up
- Another Dalit suicide on campus raises fears of a crisis of discrimination at Indian universities
- Syrian government insists it does not use chemical weapons; US vows serious response to attack
- Bodies of U.N. workers and interpreter found in Congo, prompting calls for investigation
- Hamas hangs 3 Palestinians in Gaza it says were collaborating with Israel
- Basque group ETA hands over weapons, ammunition and explosives to France
- Syrian ally Iran blasts U.S. missile strikes as 'dangerous, destructive and a violation of international law'