Key to differentiating your candidacy is creating a unique picture of your background.
Meet Bailey!Bailey came to me — seeking resume assistance — as a new nurse wanting to advance her career and gain entry into a graduate nursing program.
The challenge...Bailey's original resume looked likes thousands of others I have seen throughout my career. Instead of showcasing her experience, Bailey's original resume hid her differentiating factors in a sea of black and white text. With a lackluster format, no appropriate prioritization of the most important elements of her candidacy, and a focus on what Bailey wanted in the next stage of her career — instead of how she could add value to an employer or graduate school cohort — her resume fell short of helping her stand out.
The turnaround...Key to differentiating your candidacy is creating a unique picture of your background. As you will see from Bailey's new resume, focus was paid to creating a unique picture full of personality.
Qualifications summary...Instead of opening Bailey's resume with a self-serving objective statement, a qualifications summary leads the resume. This section allows the prioritization of the most important aspects of Bailey's candidacy, providing recruiters with a quick overview to facilitate their ever-so-brief screening process. An extension of the qualifications summary, a slightly more detailed overview was presented on the right side of the resume. This section was designed to create visual interest, engage the reader, and extend the screening process.
Experience...A fully developed experience section was presented to ensure that Bailey's impressive early-career experience was conveyed well. In this section, highlights were noted, even when they were not of a quantifiable nature. Early experiences were noted, briefly, in order to ensure focus was on the most relevant and recent aspects of Bailey's background.
Education...You will notice the education section was relocated toward the end of the resume, as Bailey is no longer considered to be a recent graduate. As her education did not differentiate her from competitors, it was important to relocate this section so attention would be placed on the aspects of her career—the uniqueness of her candidacy—that provided her with a competitive edge over her peers.
Value-added...Rounding out Bailey's candidacy was the presentation of value-added information in the form of volunteer work and affiliations.
Bailey's reaction..."My resume has been transformed into AMAZING!!! It looks absolutely fabulous yet very professional!! I LOVE IT!!!"
Samantha Nolan is a Certified Professional Resume Writer and owner of Ladybug Design, a full-service resume-writing firm. Do you have a resume or job search question for Dear Sam? Reach Samantha at email@example.com. For more about Sam's resume writing services, visit ladybug-design.com or call 614-570-3442 or 1-888-9-LADYBUG (1-888-952-3928).
- Fla. group sues over ballots missing marijuana initiative
- ‘It’s just a small piece, he got chewed up’
- National anthem singer kneels in protest
- Clinton’s campaign is preparing for the possibility that Trump may never concede
- This could explain the Bermuda Triangle mystery
- Fearless predictions for 2017 AFL season
- Trotz shrugs off Winnik losing part of ear: 'It's just a small piece'
- Florida officials: Daughters confess to burying father, 94, in yard
- Yukon's chief electoral officer starts inquiry into Mountainview riding
- Gloria Jean Mathis Greenidge, Stevie Wonder’s Baby Mama: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Stephanie Mathis, Stevie Wonder’s Alleged Love Child: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Muskrat Falls opponents say it's a test of Trudeau's aboriginal reconciliation
You might also like
- Cubs one win away from World Series after 8-4 win over Dodgers
- An extra-rested Clayton Kershaw awaits the Chicago Cubs in Game 6
- Scottie Pippen files for divorce from ‘Real Housewives’ star
- Ben McAdoo: Giants won’t ‘turn our back’ on Josh Brown
- Josh Brown shows NFL still dropping ball with domestic violence
- Police docs explain Josh Brown case in further detail
- Annie Apple, mom of Giants Eli, rips John Mara over Brown scandal
- Giants' Mara now part of NFL’s shameful domestic violence culture
- Clemens sticks it to Piazza, Mets during 2000 World Series
- NFL Week 7 Bettor’s Guide: Jet lag will hurt Giants in London
- Homeless duo arrested for slashing, robbing man in Brooklyn
- Vicious Lower East Side attack leaves man slashed, beaten
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Israeli prime minister talks of a snap election amid concerns over a new public broadcaster
- U.S. condemns suspected Syrian chemical attack on civilians, but says the Assad government is a 'political reality'
- Canada's largest school board will end class trips to the U.S. due to Trump's travel restrictions
- Warplanes strike Syrian town already hit by chemical attack
- Vigilantes prowl Europe's border with a target: Muslim migrants
- A letter from Britain to the European Union will trigger the 'Brexit' process March 29
- Ukraine president suggests a Kremlin-orchestrated attack after former Russian lawmaker is shot dead in Kiev
- Russian officials say St. Petersburg subway blast killed at least 11 and injured dozens
- As death toll in hospital attack soars to 50, Afghanistan investigates whether it was an inside job
- South Korea's ousted leader moves out of palace, apologizes for 'not fulfilling my duties'
- A brazen political killing shakes Myanmar, already teetering on the path to democracy
- India's Narendra Modi leads his party to victory in a state with more than 200 million people
- A controversial Thai monk is wanted in connection with a fraud case. His followers won't give him up
- Another Dalit suicide on campus raises fears of a crisis of discrimination at Indian universities
- Syrian government insists it does not use chemical weapons; US vows serious response to attack
- Bodies of U.N. workers and interpreter found in Congo, prompting calls for investigation
- Hamas hangs 3 Palestinians in Gaza it says were collaborating with Israel
- Basque group ETA hands over weapons, ammunition and explosives to France
- Syrian ally Iran blasts U.S. missile strikes as 'dangerous, destructive and a violation of international law'