Gleyber Torres loves to hit.
TAMPA — Gleyber Torres loves to hit.
"Honestly, my batting is my main weapon," Torres said through a translator before spring training in a video posted Wednesday on the Yankees' social media account.
"But my defense has improved over the years. I feel good batting. I have a lot of fun batting. I always have fun playing defense, but to be honest I prefer to hit."
The 20-year-old uber prospect — who became the odd man out of the Cubs' star-studded infield pool and helped them land Aroldis Chapman and that elusive World Series championship — is currently honing his craft at the team's minor-league complex as spring training gets underway, taking groundballs at shortstop and getting some batting practice in.
Yankees invite Gleyber Torres, top prospects to spring training
He will get his feet wet with the big club during the spring as a non-roster invitee before moving on to Double-A Trenton at the start of 2017, GM Brian Cashman has said.
After being the youngest player ever to be named MVP of the Arizona Fall League, where he hit .403, Torres shot up in the prospect rankings. ESPN's Keith Law recently ranked him the fourth-best prospect in baseball while MLB.com ranked him third.
"He can be the star that everybody talks about. He's that good," a National League scout told the Daily News. "He's an advanced hitter for his age and handles himself well.
"He's a good-sized kid who can hit for power and average. He makes consistent contact and doesn't swing and miss a lot — especially as a young hitter — on breaking balls and offspeed pitches. You can't teach that. There's really nothing he can't do."
Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.
Expectations are extremely high, but Torres' makeup has drawn rave reviews.
"I think pregame has always been a big factor for me in game preparation," Torres said. "It is important to prepare yourself mentally and physically before each game. That has been the biggest key for me."
So what's next?
47 photos view gallery New York Daily News back pages of 2017
"I would like to get better at everything," Torres said. "But I think baserunning and speed are factors that would greatly help my development.
Yankees prospect Gleyber Torres continues to merit high praise
"I want to keep working and I want to give it my all. I want to continue to learn, as this game requires you to learn every day. I want to stay humble and give it my best every day. I want to keep working hard to one day go up and help the Yankees."
The Yankees have always been a star-powered team, but that hasn't been the case so much recently. Gary Sanchez certainly looks like a star, although he'll have to produce over a 162-game season this time around.
The organization and its fans hope Torres lives up to his billing and becomes a superstar himself.Send a Letter to the Editor
- Dellin Betances’ arbitration hearing has Girardi and Hal talking
- Syndergaard believes bulking up only helps — Mets hope he's right
- Why wait? Mets need to get David Wright work at first base now
- How Buccaneers' Jameis Winston blew away Yankees prospects
- Mets have dilemma with Zack Wheeler: Can he be moved to the bullpen?
- Mets' David Wright opens up about his rehab and possibility of ending up at 1st base
- Ruben Tejada, now with Yankees, finally saying ugly Chase Utley incident is 'history'
- How do Jeurys Familia's Mets teammates feel about his off-field actions? It's complicated
- Here's why Mets' Jeurys Familia will talk only baseball
- MLB trade rumors: Phillies gearing up to land a star?
- Kaprielian can make Yankees rotation if he stays healthy: Cashman
- Yankees' Gary Sanchez decides to skip World Baseball Classic
You might also like
- Our columnist defends 'anti-Semitism' of YouTube star PewDiePie
- Valentine's Day pro tip: Try not to snore before dinner
- Best Chris Farley movie: 'Tommy Boy' or 'Black Sheep'
- Laverne Cox makes history (again!) as transgender lawyer on CBS series 'Doubt'
- Rumor the German shepherd wins best in show at Westminster 2017 (photos)
- Mobile's Garrick Ogburn is the happiest chef you'll ever meet
- The Masked Observer goes wobbling with the Conde Explorers
- Damon Johnson talks Black Star Riders, Alice Cooper, teaching Sting how to play 'Sweet Emotion'
- Samford basketball comes up short in 79-77 road decision at ETSU
- Samford heads to ETSU for pivotal SoCon road test Wednesday
- Samford's Burns named to NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List
- Baseball Sweeps Doubleheader; Sets School Record With 27 Runs in One Game
- Powerful South Carolina political consultant implicated in indictments of a veteran state senator
- Will Donald Trump get a second Supreme Court nomination?
- "Hazing" rituals await Supreme Court's "junior justice" Neil Gorsuch
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Trump approves controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline
- Trump praises 'Fox & Friends,' renews old feuds in early morning tweets
- Rex Tillerson finally answers question from NBC News' Andrea Mitchell
- First Read's Morning Clips: The Latest in the Russia Investigation
- Spicer: 'I've let the president down'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday
- OMB Diriector Mick Mulvaney: Washington's 'a lot more broken' than Trump thought
- Trump attacks conservatives over failure of health care bill
- A very consequential week didn't go well for President Trump
- Health Care Showdown: Republicans look to go big or go home
- No deal on health care bill after conservatives meet with Trump
- CA gov on those supporting health bill: 'Their name is going to be mud'
- Give it to me straight, doc: Is Obamacare dying?
- First Read's Morning Clips: Waiting for CBO
- 14 People Share What's It's Really Like to Have An Ex Who Is Now Their In-Law
- The Internet Is Freaking Out About The Way This Chef Cuts Pizza
- The hunt is on for Planet Nine. Here's how to join it
- Israeli prime minister talks of a snap election amid concerns over a new public broadcaster
- U.S. condemns suspected Syrian chemical attack on civilians, but says the Assad government is a 'political reality'
- Canada's largest school board will end class trips to the U.S. due to Trump's travel restrictions
- Warplanes strike Syrian town already hit by chemical attack
- Vigilantes prowl Europe's border with a target: Muslim migrants
- A letter from Britain to the European Union will trigger the 'Brexit' process March 29
- Ukraine president suggests a Kremlin-orchestrated attack after former Russian lawmaker is shot dead in Kiev
- Russian officials say St. Petersburg subway blast killed at least 11 and injured dozens
- As death toll in hospital attack soars to 50, Afghanistan investigates whether it was an inside job
- South Korea's ousted leader moves out of palace, apologizes for 'not fulfilling my duties'
- A brazen political killing shakes Myanmar, already teetering on the path to democracy
- India's Narendra Modi leads his party to victory in a state with more than 200 million people
- A controversial Thai monk is wanted in connection with a fraud case. His followers won't give him up
- Another Dalit suicide on campus raises fears of a crisis of discrimination at Indian universities
- Syrian government insists it does not use chemical weapons; US vows serious response to attack
- Bodies of U.N. workers and interpreter found in Congo, prompting calls for investigation
- Hamas hangs 3 Palestinians in Gaza it says were collaborating with Israel
- Basque group ETA hands over weapons, ammunition and explosives to France
- Syrian ally Iran blasts U.S. missile strikes as 'dangerous, destructive and a violation of international law'